powerbook shipped from california, means anything?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Billly, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billly macrumors newbie

ok...i ordered a powerbook and it showed it was shipped from here in california on fedex website. does this mean that i'm getting a returned powerbook from previous customer and apple had it repackaged? i thought that apple computers are shipped from china??? for the price i'm paying for an apple, i dont want a used computer!

2. gregorydanger macrumors member

All Apple computers, at least in the US, ship from California.

3. jaredrou macrumors newbie

are you dumb? i think this thread should be deleted for obvious reasons

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I think people have gotten their Apple orders shipped from Taiwan before.

5. gregorydanger macrumors member

Are you sure it's not accessories that are shipping from there? I've always been under the impression that at least the computers always ship from California.

I could be wrong though, it's not as if I have the money to order multiple systems.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I'm not completely sure, I just seem to remember people reporting tracking info from their orders when there was a new iBook or PB update, etc. So everyone was eagerly anticipating their computers, and talking about it here...like how long it would take from Taiwan, etc.

EDIT- threads like this one-

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=95211&highlight=taiwan+tracking

7. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I ordered from the UK, but here is the status on my ibook.

[​IMG]

I think it ships from China if you select BTO options, otherwise they may already have one in stock.

8. Billly thread starter macrumors newbie

obviously, you're the dumb one. :p

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i heard rumors before that apple repackaged machines and sold them as new. don't remember if it really were returned machines or computers that where used for quality control tests. but yes, that could happen.
    i wouldn't mind it as long as the machine looks like new and i get full warranty. at least you would know that there is nothing obvious wrong with the machine because it was tested (no excessive number of dead pixels, bad ram, dead HD ).

and no, he is not dumb. and there are no obvious reasons to delete this thread. if so the mods would have done it already. ;)

10. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

That's odd, I've never had a shipment from California -- didn't even know they had a warehouse there.

All my Apple orders have come in from Taiwan, China, or Tennessee.

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....orders can come from any number of places. In this case it is probably just that Apple had stock on hand of the model you ordered....no conspiracy here folks......oh yeah!

12. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

It all depends on stock levels. Most of the recent ipods shipped from China etc because the demand was so high that it was quicker to ship directly to the customer from China. However, this is detrimental to Apple's margins as the cost of shipping is much greater. Apple would rather have a 40ft container full of product dropped off in Long Beach, warehoused in where ever and then shipped to the customer.
    Apple, like Dell, has many shipping warehouses in the country. For example, my local Apple store recieves much of its merchandise from a warehouse in PA, not CA.
    It is all about an efficient and cost effective distribution network. It certainly doesn't mean you are getting a repackaged product. Do you really think a company such as Apple would try to sell a refurbed machine as new??!?!? C'mon y'all lets use the noggins.......

13. looklost macrumors regular

I ordered my powerbook when they first came out (so I doubt they had returns at the time) and it shipped from CA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.