Powerbook shipping times?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Tomasz, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Tomasz macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2001
    Berkeley, California
    I was just at the apple website store and I noticed that the powerbook shipping times were 12 days (for the custom ultimate one). Have they always been this long? If not, then something is coming!!!

But it is probably nothing. I bet in my wants of a faster and greater powerbook, I blocked my mind of all past knowledge of shipping times.

2. bonehead macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2002
    Lost Angeles
    I mentioned this a few days ago in another thread because I had read that increased shipping times meant an update was on the horizon. Someone posted the logical reply that with component prices increasing Apple wouldn't want to have a lot of stock sitting on shelves thus it takes longer to get a powerbook. I haven't checked but if that were the case then possibly their other computers that use similar components would have increased shipping times. I think I'm going to let my hopes get up because I'm waiting for them to put an Apollo in the Tibook before I buy one, and I really want to buy one.
  3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    I think for the Ultimate custom system the build time would at the very least a week. I really hope they get updated soon!

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Re: Powerbook shipping times?

That would be great, but just so you know, it took 3 weeks for my TiPB to be built and shipped last October. Since its coming out of Taiwan, it takes away, even if you get faster shipping. And I had to get another TiPB from Apple because the 1st one was stolen off the docks at FedEx!:mad: So after all the investigation and back and forth between Apple and FedEx, a new one was ordered and I eventually got it in December.
  5. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002

S**t man...... that was a bit of bother you went through just to get your TiBook....... Did you get any compensation or anything from Fed-Ex???

If Apple release an updated TiBook before MWNY it will probably be quite a minor upgrade and then we won't see anything at MWNY........ If we don't get an update before MWNY then I'd say something pretty special would be announced on the keynote to announce that the new TiBook has just regained it's crown as the fastest, most powerful fully featured Laptop on the planet....

I'd love a dual processor option...... (yes I'm aware of the engineering required to do this, so no flaming thank you!!:D ) Dual would help more enormously!!!

I just couldn't see Mr Jobs standing on stage, saying it's now at 733Mhz.... Yipppeeeeee!!!

He's a showman..... I could see him standing on stage saying "The new Titanium Powerbook Dual G4, (crowd all gets itself worked up into a frenzy!!) with new graphics, outrageous hardrive, new supa-duper battery, and the worlds first portable superdrive!! (crowd all cum-on-the spot and drown):p

Or something like that!!!:p
  6. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    Just be thankful you don't have to wait 6 weeks for an iMac :)
  7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    FedEx? You mean you still use Fed-Hex?

My dad ordered me my first supercomputer (Yes, the half gigahertz Cube) right around the turn of the half-year of 2001. (Just a week later it was discontinued...Lucky me!) My father had it, along with a monitor AND a Pro Keyboard shipped under UPS.

Boom! I got it all for my sixteenth birthday a few weeks later!

My point: Dump FedEx. Get UPS!

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.
  8. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Not UPS...

Anybody whose shipped a lot of stuff will tell you that FedEx is *way* more reliable to UPS. I'm sure FedEx has its screwups too, but at least machines generally arrive in one piece. I can't say the same for my experiences with UPS.

Okay, actually, stuff usually arrives in one piece. However, having the box ripped apart and the machines physically dented along the way doesn't make me feel good about shipping anything with them if it's moderately important.
  9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Re: Dukestreet......

No compensation what so ever. Nada. Zip.

I was pissed too. I had been tracking it all the way from Taiwan for a week. Luckily, I got a loner TiPB from a friend so it didn't cause too much of a problem. But you can imagine how excited I was when it finally got there.

The biggest hurdle was getting FedEx and Apple to come to a conclusion that it actually was stolen. Nice thing, though, was since I never took delivery of it, I wasn't involved in the mess. All I could do was pester then every day or to. Is it ordered yet? Is it ordered yet? Is it ordered yet? Is it ordered yet? Is it ordered yet? Is it ordered yet?....
  10. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    dukestreet I can't believe they didn't offer you anything in compensation..... not even refunding the shipping money you paid!!!

I guess it's probably quite rare that Fed-Ex f**k-up, but I can't believe it took 8 weeks to sort out... that is so bad......:rolleyes:

I bet you ripped the box apart when it eventually got delivered though...... at least you didn't spontaneously combust though!! that would have been a real bummer!!!:p
  11. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001
    Cancel that oder

I would have cancelled the order with my credit card company and let apple fight it out with Mastercard/Visa/Discover/Whoever I can tolerate long shipping if it is advertised in advance, but this weeks of waiting is not cool. Credit cards offer more than debt, they give you resources to hold over the vendors head. i love apple, but sometimes you gotta drop some tough love on big companies
  12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Re: Cancel that oder

I didn't get billed until delivery. Besides, I had the money to pay it off, I try not to let large debts ride on Credit, you end up paying too much.

iGav, it was a great day to get the box. Once I found it, the replacement machine, had shipped, I tracked it a couple times a day until it arrived. It would have been nice to get something from Apple, but when ordering a custom machine, you're pretty much stuck. I did look into getting one at the Apple store, but I wouldn't have been able to get what I wanted.

And it doesn't really matter now.
  13. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002

as long as your happy with it, that's all that matters.....

I was very lucky with mine, when I placed my order, they said they were still waiting for their first batch, and said I could be waiting a couple of weeks.... the day after I phoned, I got a call saying that they had got a 500Mhz and about 4 450Mhz, if I could pay the deposit there an then I could have the machine..... suffice to say, I flexed my Switch card and the 500Mhz was delivered the next day..... it should have been by midday, so I stayed off work for the morning to wait, it didn't turn up, so I went into work and about half hour later I got a call from the courier, he'd got a flat tyre.... so I had to wait till 7 that evening...... a day has never dragged so much in my life.... was well worth it though......:D

Then I got a call from my lady that evening to go out for a drink with her... all whilst I was trying to set everything up......and blazing with excitement, it was a very tough, tough decision, but i choose....... (and I'll probably get flamed for this:p ) but I choose the drink with my lady, and put off the mac till later that evening!!
  14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Re: dukestreet

No flame, you did the right thing. If you have a relationship, the human one always comes first, at least let them think so. Computers don't get mad, even or jealous....

Good move.

Oh, and I bet you spent most of the night out talking about your new computer anyway:D