Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
This farmer guy is clearly holding a PowerBook Duo, which obviously cannot run the advertised software:

Picture 1.png

http://www.sun.com/software/

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
However it probably cant run anything but masybe System 6.

Actually... no PowerBook Duo can run any version of System 6, which is far too old. The last model can run up to 9.1.

Aside from the fact that it's a 10+ year old PowerBook, the other part about that graphic that doesn't make any sense is... why would a farmer in a field be running Solaris?

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Actually... no PowerBook Duo can run any version of System 6, which is far too old. The last model can run up to 9.1.

Aside from the fact that it's a 10+ year old PowerBook, the other part about that graphic that doesn't make any sense is... why would a farmer in a field be running Solaris?

Good point. Why the hell would that farmer be sitting on his crops(I still feel that word is awkward) using Solaris on A PB Duo? He might as well run what ever Mac OS it can run.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Good point. Why the hell would that farmer be sitting on his crops(I still feel that word is awkward) using Solaris on A PB Duo? He might as well run what ever Mac OS it can run.

Why would he even be running Solaris period?

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
That must be one great wifi connection.

Edit: I just realized... what in the world could he be doing in the middle of a field with a laptop? It's not even like he's doing anything productive and jotting stuff down, he just looks like he's casually browsing.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
So, it seems the situation can so far be summed up with the question:

What in the world is a farmer doing running the advanced server & Java development operating system Solaris 10 (assumedly) through emulation software on a 12 year old Macintosh in the middle of a field?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Hummer said:
That must be one great wifi connection.
Duos don't have wifi either... by themselves they have localtalk and a modem (optional).

Edit: I just realized... what in the world could he be doing in the middle of a field with a laptop? It's not even like he's doing anything productive and jotting stuff down, he just looks like he's casually browsing.
he could be using the Duo the same way I use mine currently... as a replacement for hundreds of pounds of books, papers and manuals.

Put a large enough drive in it and a copy of Acrobat, and all of a sudden that 8.5"x11" at 4.5 pounds is an attractive little piece of equipment.

:rolleyes:

Specially if you have a working battery. :p

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
dpaanlka said:
What in the world is a farmer doing running the advanced server & Java development operating system Solaris 10 (assumedly) through emulation software on a 12 year old Macintosh in the middle of a field?
I'd be willing to bet I could get Solaris 7 running (in the most broad definition) in VirtualPC 3 on my 2300c... but I doubt it would be very useful.

Heck, I don't run Solaris on my SPARCstation (which is running OPENSTEP 4.2). :D

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
A little closer scrutiny shows he might not have come in on the last bale of hay.

Attachments

• solaribis.gif
    solaribis.gif
    84 KB · Views: 115

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
dpaanlka said:
I only get about 1.5 hours out of it, though. Shame.
Didn't you show me the link (here) to rebuilding Duo batteries?

I was thinking about pulling apart the battery for my 280 and rebuilding it as a project.

Plus the lowest price I've seen for Duo batteries was around $125. :eek:

:rolleyes:

1.5 hours... that is about what I'm getting with my Lombard now. :eek:

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
xsedrinam said:
A little closer scrutiny...
Hey... isn't that one of the grayscale Duos?

Would be a better choice for outdoors work (as far as reading the screen).

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Hey... isn't that one of the grayscale Duos?

Would be a better choice for outdoors work (as far as reading the screen).

Judging from the wider aspect ratio, and how thin the side bezels are, I would have to agree that is a grayscale Duo. Those supertwist displays are pretty easy to see outside when the internal brightness is shut off.

All this Duo talk makes me want to just, like, turn on my Duo and actually use it for something!

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
livingfortoday said:
Do you know of any other guide/tips that would help me out?
There was another one (here) but the site is currently down.

Yeah, a 210 (which has a nice wide screen) and a good battery would make a great system for storing/reading PDFs (even outdoors... with the back light off like Dan pointed out).

I think the PowerBook Guy has adapters to let you use EIDE/ATA drives in SCSI based Duos. And I use a localtalk-to-ethernet bridge to network my Duo (my dock is in storage... I only use it for installation of major software).

The large amount of documents I can care with me on my Duo has brought it back to life for me. If I can get my battery life up to what Dan has got, wow... it would be even better!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Yeah, I like the Duo because it's actually smaller and lighter (or so it feels) than my 15" Powerbook, plus I like meddling with System 7. Unfortunately the screen on mine is patchy and prone to fading and flickering. But if I could at least get it to work off of a battery, I could take it around with me more. Thanks for the links, I'll see if I can try this out.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
That picture is so vague that I can't see how you guys can tell what laptop it is let alone an Apple. :confused:

A Duo has a very distinctive appearance and if you owned one (I have 4), you'd be able to spot one a mile away.

They didn't even spot the Cannabis sativa in the foreground. :)

I'm sorry, I'm not getting the joke :confused: what does weed have to do with anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.