Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
My powerbook won't sleep. When its supposed to go to sleep the screen turns off yet the computer still runs and the fan turns on. To test I set my computer to sleep after 1 minute and I unchecked the box that turns of the LCD after a certain amount of time. The only way to make the computer sleep is to shut the lid, go under the apple, or press the powerbutton and then sleep.

I have called apple support when this happened first, about 2 monthes ago. I went through a bunch of things like resetting the PMU and the only solution was to reinstall the OS (I'm running 10.3.9 and I'm all up to date). I've done it three more times since that event and the problem keeps on coming back about a week after I reinstall. I've even tried not installing printer drivers but still, the problem occurs. None of the sharing settings are turned on either. I don't have any 3rd party programs that would interfere with the auto sleep.

I hate walking away from my computer when it has 90% battery life and coming back a couple hours later and its down to 45%. I also don't want to keep on spending hours reinstalling the OS. I'm really frustrated right now and before I call Apple again, and potentially start to get even more angry, does anyone know what is going on here and what some solutions could be.

EDIT: I forgot to say. The problem ususually starts with the sleep light not working and progresses to the state where it won't automatically sleep.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
I just called apple support and was told I have to pay them either $49 to talk to them or buy AppleCare for $349. So I said 'Yea alright- CLICK"

Thanks Apple!

If I drove an hour to my nearest apple store and went to the genius would they tell me "we'll help you for $49" or would they do it for free?

News: Problem only happens on battery power.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
EJBasile said:
I just called apple support and was told I have to pay them either $49 to talk to them or buy AppleCare for $349. So I said 'Yea alright- CLICK"

Thanks Apple!

If I drove an hour to my nearest apple store and went to the genius would they tell me "we'll help you for $49" or would they do it for free?

News: Problem only happens on battery power.

Usually the in-store geniuses are really nice (or.. at least in my experiences)
If it isn't TOO far away, you could go see.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
katie ta achoo said:
Usually the in-store geniuses are really nice (or.. at least in my experiences)
If it isn't TOO far away, you could go see.

It takes 45min-1hr to get there. I can schedule a time to see the genius. I also know a hidden parking lot at the mall with very good access to the Apple Store.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
just trying to diagnose the problem a little further here..

when you say the sleep light doesn't work at first, you mean only when it falls asleep with the screen open, or in all sleep situations?

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
zach said:
just trying to diagnose the problem a little further here..

when you say the sleep light doesn't work at first, you mean only when it falls asleep with the screen open, or in all sleep situations?

After reinstalling the OS, the sleep function would work all the time.
A little while later (like a week) the computer will sleep automatically when the lid is open, but the light won't work.
A few days after it will not automatically sleep automatically with the lid open- but if you shut the lid it will sleep, but soon after the sleep light will stop pulsating and just go black.

So at this point
-Computer won't sleep when lid is open automatically
-Computer will sleep only when screen is shut, but sleep light doesn't always pulsate
-These symptoms only happen when powerbook is on battery power

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i would first zap the parameter ram. it's a shortcut at computer start up (hold option-apple-p-r until you hear the start up chime 3 or four times).

second i would reset the power management unit. you have to google it for your specific model at the apple website, but it is like unplug the pb, remove the battery and hold the start button for 5-10 sec.

these things sometimes help without anybody understanding why. but since it takes only 5 minutes why not try?

it could also be that some bluetooth device is waking your pb from sleep. switch off bluetooth and airport and see what happens.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
andiwm2003 said:
i would first zap the parameter ram. it's a shortcut at computer start up (hold option-apple-p-r until you hear the start up chime 3 or four times).

second i would reset the power management unit. you have to google it for your specific model at the apple website, but it is like unplug the pb, remove the battery and hold the start button for 5-10 sec.

these things sometimes help without anybody understanding why. but since it takes only 5 minutes why not try?

it could also be that some bluetooth device is waking your pb from sleep. switch off bluetooth and airport and see what happens.

Apple had me try zap the PRAM, reset the PMU, and I've tried turning off BT and Airport. I'll try zapping the PRAM and reseting the PMU again and I'll post what happens.

UPDATE: Nothing has changed. Grrr..

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Anyone... Anyone... Anyone... Anyone... Anyone...
(F.B. Day Off)

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Logic Board? In another post someone said Logic Board failure/issues can results in the sleep light not working correctly.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
I also have had many problems associated with sleep mode with my new powermac dual 2.0g G5. Sometimes when I put it to sleep the signal to the monitors turns off but the fans continue running and then speed up insanely fast for about 5 minutes and then it goes to sleep. Also when it comes out of sleep mode the cd eject sometimes doesn't respond and my 56k modem comes up with a connection error. I've talked to tech support several times and did all the things you've done which didn't help. Right now I'm just living with the problem until it really annoys me and then I'll probably have to go to the apple store. So I'm in the same boat as you.

Nick

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
NSiebenmor said:
I also have had many problems associated with sleep mode with my new powermac dual 2.0g G5. Sometimes when I put it to sleep the signal to the monitors turns off but the fans continue running and then speed up insanely fast for about 5 minutes and then it goes to sleep. Also when it comes out of sleep mode the cd eject sometimes doesn't respond and my 56k modem comes up with a connection error. I've talked to tech support several times and did all the things you've done which didn't help. Right now I'm just living with the problem until it really annoys me and then I'll probably have to go to the apple store. So I'm in the same boat as you.

Nick

I have the same fan thing as you. My fan starts blowing at full speed, at if my computer is unattended, it drains my battery quickly. Mine never automatically goes to sleep unless the battery dies. I don't think I have any modem or CD eject problems though, but I haven't checked.
---

I have another question, is it normal for my powerbook to sound like the fan is changing speed constantly or sound like its stuggling to go faster. When my fan is blowing at its hardest its whirring always gets louder and then softer and then louder and then softer. Its almost like a generator running out of gas. You know they go vrooom.vroom.vroom.vroom except my PB's fan does it much faster and less smoothly (I feel like that girl from the apple commercial "and it was like beep beep beep beep beep )

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Powermac won't stay in Sleep mode

I am having a Sleep issue with my Dual 2Ghz PowerMac.

When i attempt to put the computer to Sleep. It "Sleeps" but then instantaneously turns back on. At times it works fine and stays sleeping, but at other times it takes about 3 or 4 times of Sleep for it to finally stay sleeping.

I've zapped the PRAM and I've tried the above suggestion of turning off Bluetooth and Airport. I also checked the "Wake on Lan..." check box in the Energy Saver panel.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Update:
I did find this in the Apple support site: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=759725&#759725
I have disabled my MenuMeters to see if that was the cause of it.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Is there anything at all you can link the changes to, like system updates, software installs, etc.?

Since it works at first but then seems to 'degrade', I wonder if upgrading to Tiger could possibly fix it.

It's also weird that it only happens when you are on battery power. You don't happen to have a spare other battery to swap out and test, do you?

They're not very 'logical' suggestions, but then again your problem seems to defy logic too. Another thing I might do is play around with your power management settings, change the various settings for battery power so that they match the settings for AC. You might at least be able to isolate some factor that causes your problem only when it is on battery power...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.