Powerbook sleeve/bag?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by camobag, Feb 17, 2004.

1. camobag macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2003
    I know you guys have talked about this a lot, but I really need your help. Which sleeve or bag should I get for a 15 inch alu? Should i get just a sleeve or just a bag, or something that is in between? Should I get both and where from? Thanks for your help everyone!
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i recommend you get both

i use a spire backpack

but there are other vendors who make great bags also
  3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I have the Brenthaven Pro17 bag for my 17", they do a 15 too, it comes with a padded sleeve that velcros into the bag, loads of pockets and room, very well constructed, maybe not as funky as a Crumpler, but very nice.

Plus you can get them off the Apple Edu site...:D
  4. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i have a tucano second skin for my PB. it does the job fine for me, put it in it then i can just keep in an any old bag. it protects it really well.
  5. bonk macrumors member

Sep 17, 2003
    I have a radtech sleeve for my 15al. it was the most minimal thing I could find. I wanted to just carry it in my regular messenger bag, and this sleeve protects the surface nicely. I do wish it had one more rigid side to protect the screen back from flexing, tho. also, bizarrely, it seems to really impress people. whenever I whip it out, the sleeve itself gets oohs and ahhs - no idea why. oh, and it's cheap - 25 bucks or so.

here's the link:
  6. niter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    I wanted a crumpler bag originally for my computer but I just did not have the cash for it. It is true that if you spend a lot of money on a computer that you should get a good bag, however, in my case, I had a good bag already. I just needed a second bag for rain because my good bag is leather.

I saw this in office max and I got it for $40:

My iBook 12" fits well, but the space is better designed for a 15" PB, which is why I am posting here. The bag is nice. It has this shock absorber around the bottom and sides (for dropping, I guess), one flat pocket on the outside of the bag (on the back where it would be next to your body), an adjustable, padded sholder strap, the padded computer pocket with a velcro strap, a spacious pocket for other stuff, and then a really nice organization section. For a low end bag, it is suprisingly super and I am glad I found it. What I like is:

1) the padded computer pocket and the shock absorber
    2) it has enough space to really stuff it if I HAD to, but is nicely slim for everyday use
    3)the organizer pouch is really cool. It has a key clip and two well sized velcro pockets. On the other side it has one large pocket, three pencil/pen pockets, a small pocket, and a small padded pocket. Behind this is another"hidden" zipper pocket. There is also a trick zipper. When you have the main flap of the messanger bag down, there is a side ziper that lets you access the organizer pouch. I think the padded pocket is supposed to be used for a cell phone, but my cell phone fits better in the other small pocket and I use the padded pocket for my iPod. Easy access and great for headphones.

I am also going to get a Powersleevz eventually, so this set up is perfect (and half the cost).
  7. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    I've got a second skin and i use one of those cheap Ikea messenger bags...they're ace! :)
  8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
  9. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    If you want something slick check this company out. They are based in SF. You'll be able to choose from about a dozen colors. I currently have an orange sleeve for my 12" iBook and my girlfriend has a red one for her (read: our) 15" TiBook. They run about $40, fit like skin, are covered with ripstop denier nylon and can be placed inconspicuously in any old backpack. To me, this greatly reduces the theft factor. Down the road, if you decide you want a special bag to carry it in, you can pick up one of their handmade messenger bags which are also very slick. I've had my sleeve for about a year and take it to work every day in a North Face daypack. So far, zero problems. I believe they also sell cell phone and iPod cases.

I. Lee
  10. raiderz182 macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2003
    north philly
    i recommend using a maccase sleeve, it has good padding and great style, has a see-through plastic window near the middle to show your apple logo from the laptop
  11. weijia macrumors newbie

Dec 24, 2003
    If you already have a backpack, try the Monolith from Tom Bihn (www.tombihn.com ). The case has very nice padding, and has a hard outer shell that prevents your books and such from damaging it. Their Braincell is also good if you use a messenger bag.
  12. machem macrumors member

Sep 4, 2003
    Stockton/Sacramento CA
    Got a sleeve (WaterField) and a bag (Crumpler Crisp Suit). Overkill? Maybe. Heavier? Definitely. Perfect together? Yup.

If I'm just going across campus and need to take my CPU I can take the sleeve w/o bulking up too much.
  13. ozone macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    I've got to second the opinions about Tom Bihn bags. I have a Brain Bag (backpack) and a padded sleeve (check the sizes - there are several). I tried fitting a 15" PB in; seemed to fit okay. Pricey, but excellent protection. The laptop is actually suspended in the sleeve so if you drop your bag, the laptop doesn't actually hit.
  14. iRez macrumors member

Feb 19, 2004
    Check out the Sportfolio II from Marware

Perfect for carrying around by itself, or throw it into a back pack. I have one that I throw into my Downloader backpack from e-bags. It looks great and I have double the protection, all for a total of $75.
  15. camobag thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2003
    i really like the crumpler suit bag and sportfolio sleeve. c'mon steve...updates??...HUH!?!
  16. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002

i second Timbuk2 bags. i have their laptop sleeve and one of their older commuter bags that i use for my Ti. my GF has one of the laptop sleeves for her Ti, and she keeps it in her backpack. they sell the laptop/commuter bags at apple stores, so you can see them in person.
  17. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Whenever I take my PB somewhere I've always got other stuff I want to take along as well - so a separate sleeve didn't matter to me. What you decide to get should be based on what your usage patterns will likely be.

I love my Crumpler "Very Busy Man". My 15" AlPB fits in the padded laptop pouch securely, but there's still room to spare (it's possible a 17" would even fit in there). This messenger bag is very well padded, and extremely well made. Lots of extra pockets, large unbreakable zippers, totally waterproof (I live in the Pacific NW USA, so it matters!). Great bag.
  18. gemio17 macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003
    I got the incase sling bag for my 15"alu. It's nice and minimal and looks like a regular bag so that everyone in the world doesn't know I have a laptop in there.

sling bag

I would also second bonk's suggestion of the radtech powersleevz- I just got the screensaverz to protect btwn the keyboard and screen and it's a great material and I'm going to also buy the powersleevz for inside my sling bag.

edit: btw- you can also try this on at the Apple Store-they carry it on site

Attached Files:

19. advres Guest

Oct 3, 2003
    I have the AcmeMade slim bag. Slim. I use it so I can throw my PB in my normal backpack or my messenger bag. It's pretty expensive but it has excellent padding and is very sturdy. I love the bag and it fits the 15 like a glove and that's about it. Pretty much all you can fit in this bag is your book and the charger. If you are located near an Apple Retail store I would suggest checking one of these out.