Powerbook sleeves and airport security...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by srchurch, Jul 29, 2004.

1. srchurch macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2004
    I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had with the need to remove their powerbook from their case or sleeve before placing the PB through the airport x-ray machine. I would be happyer if I did not have to remove the bare powerbook everytime and subject it to potential abuse and scratchs. Anyone forced to remove a PB from sleeves like the Crumpler School Hymn or the Zero shock from Shinza? Will they at least allow you to leave the PB in a microfiber sleeve like the PowerSleevs? Any succes leaving it in a more substantial sleeve like the Tom Bihn, AcmeMade, or Timbuk2?

Any experiences would be welcome!
  2. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    No sleeves, no nothing!

This may have changed by now - but when I last travelled out of the US in November of last year, you had to take it completely out of any casing / sleeves. That resulted in a scratch to my Powerbook, despite the fact that I had placed it properly and gently into the tray, because the lady at customs decided she would arbitrarily throw it on to its other side. Not happy, Jan :mad:
  3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, complete removal was required any time I've travelled with my powerbook. And as Jan pointed out, the security people have absolutely no respect for your belongings. I guess since they can't be held accountable if they damage anything, they don't even bother trying not to.
  4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i go international flights all the time, they have never asked me to oepn up my computer much less my computer bag.

i guess it depends on how lucky u are with getting nice security people
  5. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
    I had my powerbook 17" removed from its case, taken into the 'backroom' for a period of about 5-10 minutes and then brought back out to me. When it went through the xray the lady got this crazy face and got the supervisor over...all i said was...bummmmmmer
  6. hansen macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2004
    Not true. I had a wrapped gift with me on my last trip to the US. Of course they had to remove the wrapping etc. But afterwards they took the time to carefully wrap the present again with ribbon and all so it looked as before - even with a smile.

These people are just doing there job. Sure, its a hazzle to go through security but don't blame it on the security people

(yeahhh I'm now a macrumor member :) )
  7. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    heh you will have to whatever the security person tells you to get on the plane period. they will make you take out your laptop especially in major airports like MIA, DFW, LAX, etc. In my MIA in a long time one time, a guy was barking at me to get my laptop out and ready. Anyways, they do put your laptop in a plastic tub so it won't get damaged. don't worry they won't hurt your pretty little powerbook.
  8. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    if someone at the airport scratches your $2000 laptop then who elses fault is it?
    but yes i've only ever seen them put them in plastic tubs, just like everything else likes wallets and belts etc.
  9. kasei macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I fly every other week out of Burbank airport to Phoenix airport and every time I go through security I have to pull my 17" PowerBook out of the sleeve and place it in the tub. That is exactly why I bought a Brenthaven backpack. The top-loading feature makes it pretty easy to pull it out and put it back into the bag. Every now and then they will take my laptop and run an explosive residue test on it. Why I have no earthly idea.

I normally put the tub with my laptop in it on the belt myself. I have seen the way the security people toss them on the belt. I saw someone's Sony Viao get dropped in the airport by security. I felt sorry for the guy, who by the way was not very happy.

Yep you have to pull it out and X-ray the damn thing.
  10. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Last week I flew from Belfast to Heathrow, and then on to Frankfurt. I didn't have to take it out of the bag once. On the way back, the same thing happened. Plus I got to see the inside of my computer on those nifty little computer screens! :eek:
  11. bonehead macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2002
    Lost Angeles
    Zero Shock sleeve

I just flew out of LAX and they made me take my 15" PB out of the Zero Shock sleeve. The security person wasn't that gentle with it but nothing happened. She wiped it a few times with the swabs that get fed into the explosive detector machine then she put it back in the case.
  12. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I fly around the US and in/out of the US quite often. I've got a Tom Bihn braincell for my 15" AlPb. I've not once been allowed to keep it in the braincell. Only once has it been "inspected" by someone, the other 100 times it just sat in the same plastic tub I put it in, waiting for me to take it out.

But who cares if it gets a little scuffed? It doesn't affect the performance of the Mac, and that's all that matters.. right? Right?
  13. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    I've gotten my PowerBook through once with a RadTech Powersleeve on it. I took the PowerBook out of my backpack, left the Powersleeve on and the airport security didn't even notice it was on.

Of course, the second time I tried that the security lady did notice and made me take it off. At that airport they also make you take video cameras out of their bags. I had that with me too, so I held up the line removing my digital gadgetry (and my shoes). :eek:
  14. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    A tale of two continents I think!

In the US, I've been asked to take it out of bags and put it through on its own in a little tub. Once I was asked to boot it up (thankfully it was only asleep at the time so was very fast to do) although they did let me set it down on a sensible surface to do so.

In the UK and Europe, they've never asked me to take it out of a bag - they don't even seem interested in knowing if there's a laptop in the bag.
  15. kerb macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Lancashire UK
    haha Europe is so lax

I travelled to Gran Canaria a few weeks ago.

Didn't get asked whether I packed the bag myself that usual stuff.

Didn't check the weight of my luggage.

I beeped going through the metal detector and the guy just shrugged and let me go though.

And out of the entire journey the only time I was asked for my passport was when re-entering the UK. A brief flash of a maroon wallet and they let me through.
  16. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    most of the airports Ive been in say to remove laptops from any casing before you even get to the security xray thingy.