Powerbook. So beautiful...it's invisible?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by steeveage, Sep 23, 2004.

1. steeveage macrumors member

Sep 23, 2004
    Redwood City, CA
    I just purchased a new 17" Powerbook G4 a few weeks ago. My first Mac ever. I love it. I'm sure all you Powerbook users enjoy the satisfaction of owning one of the most beautiful laptops on the market. You've probably become accustomed to receiving compliments on how nice your Powerbook looks. What I want to know is, has anyone ever experienced the opposite?

I have. I am a developer, and lately when other developers come to discuss something in my cubicle, the vast majority of them notice the new Powerbook sitting closed on my desk. Today, however, was different. I was diligently debugging a piece of code with another developer, and notice in the back of my mind that he didn't really comment on the laptop that was sitting right next to him. Odd, I think. I glance over, and he's happily turned my $2500 laptop into a handy elbow rest, elbow on laptop, head on hand and all. GASP! I quickly blurted out something to the effect of "get off" and yanked my laptop to safety. Unbelievable. Thank goodness for that solid aluminum enclosure, it escaped relatively unscathed.

In retrospect, I came to realize a few things. One -- anyone who lacks that kind of attention to detail, i.e. what I'm leaning on is or is not breakable, should not be developing software. Two -- the Powerbook's enclosure is so svelte and understated, it practically blends in with its surroundings. Now that's some good design. But beauty can definitely be dangerous.
  2. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Dang, that would irritate me! Who puts their elbow on a laptop?! :rolleyes: Good thing it didn't get any damage, isn't aluminum suppose to be really soft, at least compared to the old TiBooks?
  3. steeveage thread starter macrumors member

Sep 23, 2004
    Redwood City, CA
    Actually now that I think about it more, the "softness" of the aluminum may have helped -- it has a nice even flex so that if it bends, it doesn't STAY bent. I was actually surprised myself that there was no visible dent in my laptop, given how much weight your elbow takes when you're standing up and leaning on a flat surface with your elbow and head.
  4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Well, sounds like his head wasn't too heavy ... doesn't really weigh anything when nothing's in there, you know. ;)
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Please please please tell me you punched him.

If you didn't, can I? :eek:
  6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    You summed my thoughts up rather well there :)
  7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    ....what I was thinking..... :D
  8. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    Since I can't blame the guy who did it, I blame you. Why would you have your PB out in the open in the first place. Protection wise, either from theft or damage, it is very important that it does not happen. Be wise man. Next time (don't let there be a next time) make sure you lean your elbow into his jaw...real hard.
  9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    It's an aluminium alloy in the PB case, it's harder than pure Al, and more resistant to deformity, unlike your co-workers face would have been had it been my 17" he'd leaned on.... :mad: ;)

I've got so used to the Windoze crowd getting all schmoozy when the PB comes out, that I find myself hauling it out in meetings when I don't really need to, just for a laugh...

If you've got it, flaunt it.
  10. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    Thinning of the gene pool is warrented...

I specifically do NOT close my PB unless it's going into its bag. The keyboard leaves marks on the screen when it's closed. Yea, I can clean them, but the less I have to do, the better. I do put it to sleep when I'm not using it, to give the processor a break.

If you're closing it to put it to sleep, there's another quick way, without closing it (there are more, this is the fastest for me). Press (and release) the power button, then press "S." It's quick, and when you get back, hit any key to wake up.
  11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Actually, I do the opposite. :eek: I'll regularly be at the library with my 12" PB and iPod, and people will always look over. It makes me feel weird, so I try not to pull out my PB unless I need to. I even try to hide it by sitting in one of the cubicle desks against the wall so that there aren't too many people who see it.
  12. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2004
    He's jealous. Nothing to it. He's not stupid. If he 'sucedes' (spell?) in denting your pb, he'll just say it was an accident and laugh about it. Or if you tell him to stop, he'll try to spread a rumor that your too sensative about your laptop and so on.

I hate people who do stuff like that.
  13. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The aircraft grade aluminum alloy casing used by the current PowerBooks is actually much more stable than the TiBook casing was.
  14. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    Actually, my roommate leaned on my ibook recently. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him doing that. He also knocked it off a chair once. I think that scared him quite good. But it an ibook, these things are tough with their "bullet proof" poly carb shells and rubber mounted hds. I was able to forgive him after he performed some emergency soldering on my logic board, though, when I broke some pins upgrading my hd.
  15. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    My 12" Pb has done some head turning before. I was at a department store with my family and I was having to wait for my mom and grandmother to finish shopping for clothes. To pass the time, I pulled out my laptop and played some StarCraft. While I was doing this, one of the employees walked up and had to ask me "is that the laptop from the commercial where Yao, and the little guy are setting in the airplane? You know, Yao has the small laptop and the other guy has the huge one?" I say yes and she has to hold it and look at its beauty.

Being a shy person, I was a bit uncomfortable with her coming up and right out asking about my laptop.

Now that I'm at college, I have people stop by my room all the time. One guy on my floor had to print a paper and he came to see if we could print it for him (it cost $0.05 a page to print from any of the schools computers). He sees my laptop and can't believe how small it is. What really makes my laptop look small is the printer that is setting beside it. I have a Lexmark X5150 and I think if I tried, I could fit my laptop completely in it.
  16. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004

Yeah... i witnessed some mad soldering skills while at college. I personally leave that to other people. ;-)
  17. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    everyone who sees my laptop notices it and i usually get lots of questions. or the occasional M$ dumb a$$ that says 'thats a dumb computer, mine is faster. . . what speed is yours? mines a 3.0GHZ' i hope your co-worker isnt a mac hater :-/

but i got the best compliment yesterday. i was over at my friend's house setting up his new dell laptop. i pulled out my 12" pb (rev A) so i could transfer some music onto his new laptop (er. . . music i made myself :-/ ). and then while marveling at the size (compared to his 15.4" wide screen 5inch thick bohemoth) he suddunly asked 'what speed is your processor' i replied '867 mhz' then he asked how much ram i said '256' then came the shocker (which i loved hearing) 'how does your computer that has half the ram and slower proccesor than my 2.8Ghz P4 run faster than my brand new computer?' i laughed and explained it was a mac. went into the details of the difference b/w a G4 and a P4 and got a wierd confused look from him. but i was still happy that he realized that my one year old G4 was faster than his brand new P4 !
  18. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    I could care less what type of laptop it was, but if someone put and elbow on my laptop, I would planly ask, "Do I come to your cubicle and put my feet up on your keyboard. So get your damn elbow off my laptop." I could careless if it was my coworker or boss. If the person doesn't have the sense in his head to not do something like that to a laptop, they deserve to be belittled.

As for my iBook, I love taking it out in public. In college I use to sit out in the middle of the library and have everyone's heads turning. Had some stop and look over my shoulder from a distance. Hell, 2 of my roommates ended up getting PBs about a year later because of me. I was willing to show off anything it could do to anyone that asks, and I did get asked many times.

When people ask why it goes so fast for a 600Mhz processor. I tell its a tricky thing, but to make and analogy I tell them like they were going on a truo. You can get to a place a short distance away in a short amount of time while going to, say Japan (I'm in the USA, NJ), can take awhile. Well my chip has a pipeline, roadway so to say, in it that is only about the distance from here to the 7/11 down the street, while the P4 has one that is like the trip to California. I, aka something that needs to get processed, can get to the 7/11 quicker at my slow 600Mhz walking speed than doing that speed going to Cal. So, for the Pentiums to stay ahead they make myself go quicker, take a plane that goes 500 mph, like them stepping my speed up to that 3 ghz they run at. I get there quicker, but its still a long distance to go. Thats why my 600Mhz can compete with the Pentiums. They need to go fast to stick with Apple computers better made processor.

I also have that video they did comparing a G4 to a Pentium back a couple of years. And yes, my 600 Mhz can't really go as fast as a 3Ghz, so its kind of a bad analogy, but it just gives an idea of what is different between the processors.
  19. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Referring to the OP for flashing his jumbo fruit all over the place.

Personally, I'd use it as a foot rest/warmer. They are quite toasty.
  20. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    man, no respect.

hope you having fun with your pbook steve :)

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    I love getting positive comments of my pb...everyone comments on the looks but what about the power and whats inside... o well...
    Some times i get "A mac.... i hate macs...... and then i just leave it cause there no point in arguing with a dumb person..... :D
  22. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    excellent analogy! i've often been plagued with this question at school and don't know how to answer it other than "it's a different architecture"... i too have seen the megahertz myth video, but i'm curious: did they "lengthen" the pipeline for the G5 to make the numbers seem faster??

23. stillwater macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2004
    Rowley, MA
  24. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I usually ask why. Then they say something like "it doesn't run (insert some doom rip-off) game" or "you can't even upgrade the RAM" or "I used one once in 7th grade". Things like that. Sometimes they don't know why. Those are fun.