Powerbook stopped making Doooong

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chaosbunny, Nov 11, 2005.

1. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Like the title says my powerbook no more makes the Dooong sound at start up or restart. I tried repairing permissions and looked into the system preferences/sound. Everything was like it should be. Sound is turned on and I have no additional speakers connected. The internal speakers are ok because I can hear other system sounds/music etc. It's not like the Doong would be extremely important, everything else runs fine. I just have a little time right now so I thought I'll ask the experts. ;)

Edit: I'm running 10.4.3, other specs of the pb see sig.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe try resetting core-audio by opening and then closing Garageband. Not sure it'll fix your problem but it's so simple it's worth a try. :)

3. chaosbunny thread starter macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Thanks for your reply, tried it but unfortunately still no Doong. Maybe it will return by itself, sometimes funny things happen with computers.

4. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

I've found that if I have the machine volume low, the chime is almost un-noticable, although the system beep and regular feedback sounds from the OS are still reasonably clear. The chime does seem to be recorded at a markedly lower volume than the rest of the system sounds, at least on my iBook.

I first noticed this after using headphones - the volume at 2/3 was ear-splitting, and so I turned the volume down using the keys on the keypad. After this, once the headphones were unplugged again, the chime was virtually non-existent, bit the sys sounds were still discernable.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Stand over your laptop, clap your hands twice, and say "Dooonng! Wake up Dong!"

Sorry, couldn't resist. It was on TV the other day.

6. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

16 candles, awesome.

"Where is my--- VEHICLE???"

7. chaosbunny thread starter macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Awesome! I tried it and I really was able to hear a Doong sound. It just didn't come from my computer but from a hole right under my nose. Strange thing this modern electronic world
    :D