powerbook superdrive can be pretty loud

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by absurdio, Jan 9, 2004.

1. absurdio macrumors 6502

Is this normal? It seems like especially during the "verifying" stage of burning cds, the superdrive of my powerbook whirrs startlingly loudly. Does that happen for anyone else? It doesn't bother me much, but it did take me by surprise...just hope it's okay. For what it's worth, I have the last generation of Tibook and i'm using memorex cd-rs.
    Thanks.

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I have one of the latest 12" PowerBooks with SuperDrive. When I got the computer I was surprised how noisy the drive was in general, but this was not the case for burning. I think it is generally quite loud in normal operation (DVD playback is quiet though).

I haven't noticed it to be particulalrly loud during burning though, but my drive may be made by a different company to yours (mine's Matsh*ta 2x DVD-R/CD-RW).

Did it always do that or only recently? Try different brands of discs to see if that makes any difference. If it does, it's not the drive that's a problem. If it sounds really painful maybe you should get it checked out if it's still under warranty?

3. Calliander macrumors member

Re: powerbook superdrive can be pretty loud

Some of them are loud, but the dB level is hard to identify.

When it's making the noise, put your hand gently on the top case over the drive and then on the bottom case under the drive and see if there are constant, significant vibrations. If there are, you might want to bring your machine to the Apple Store or an Apple Reseller to get it checked out.

Locate a Reseller