Powerbook superdrive, can it take DVD-RW's

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Stelliform, Jul 11, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I know the specs for the drive say it can take them, however the firmware just has the drive eject the disk.

I haven't tried to get mine to work in a few months, so I thought I would ask you guys. Does anybody know if you can burn a DVD-RW in the powerbook superdrive, can Roxio do it?
  2. macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Which powerbook? I read the 17" can but not the 15"...
  3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    15" TiBook.

In looking for the model of the drive I found this thread. Apparently it still isn't an option. :(
  4. Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Nope, the drive in my 17 is a DVD-r only, the RW option isn't offered by Apple currently I think, although the drives in the G5's aren't the same model, so maybe they can.
  5. macrumors member

Sep 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    the drives that apple uses are the panosonic DVR-A03, A04 and A05 for there desktops (don't know what they use for there laptops). These drives are all DVD-RW drives, however apple has only chosen to lable them as DVD-R drives you should be able to use DVD-RW discs with some software i.e apples own Disc Copy, iTunes (for music back up) or iPhoto (for photo backup). Toast also has the ability to burn to DVD-RW discs. however the drives they use in there laptops may be only DVD-R drives you should check System Profiler to see what kind of drive you have.