Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helios16v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Earth
This might just be a shot in the dark because I don't see why this wont work, I decided I better run it past everyone here just to make sure I'm not going to screw anything up because of the lack of info the internet has provided me with.

After much research on tablet/touch screen macs I came up with countless crap on the iPad (boring), the modbook which is a kit for macbooks (not good for me because I have a powerbook), and mods about hooking wacom tablets behind the lcd but wacom doesn't make a suitable size for a 15" screen so only a small portion of the lcd has touch sensitivity. seems kinda stupid and pointless to only have one part of your screen touchable and then needing a mouse/track pad for the other parts of the screen.

I really don't understand why I cant find anything on this, at first I was thinking I'll look up on eBay to find an old broken tablet pc, strip the screen and make it work on the powerbook, then I decided it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a tablet pc screen. and then I found this marvel of gold.

It is a 16:10 ratio touch screen sensor that will work on any operating system and plugs in via usb.
http://cgi.ebay.com/15-16-10-USB-Pa...temQQptZComputer_Monitors?hash=item439df75378

so now my plan is to buy that and possibly a broken powerbook g4 just in case I need extra parts for anything to something to mod to make the touch sensor fit properly inside the powerbook lcd housing.

All together this is like 90 bucks canadian to buy this screen and turn my powerbook into a touch screen powerbook then all thats left is to figure out some way to make a 180 degree rotating hinge right in the middle of the powerbook so then I can lay it down flat just like normal tablet pc's

now my biggest question is has anyone done anything like this before so i can use there write up on it for info to base mine off of or will I have to do all of this on my own and be the first to make a cheap conversion for the powerbook that actually has full screen access.

-Ben

BettBee

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
You might also find folks on instructables.com who have experience with this.

This might just be a shot in the dark because I don't see why this wont work, I decided I better run it past everyone here just to make sure I'm not going to screw anything up because of the lack of info the internet has provided me with.

After much research on tablet/touch screen macs I came up with countless crap on the iPad (boring), the modbook which is a kit for macbooks (not good for me because I have a powerbook), and mods about hooking wacom tablets behind the lcd but wacom doesn't make a suitable size for a 15" screen so only a small portion of the lcd has touch sensitivity. seems kinda stupid and pointless to only have one part of your screen touchable and then needing a mouse/track pad for the other parts of the screen.

I really don't understand why I cant find anything on this, at first I was thinking I'll look up on eBay to find an old broken tablet pc, strip the screen and make it work on the powerbook, then I decided it would be easier and cheaper to just buy a tablet pc screen. and then I found this marvel of gold.

It is a 16:10 ratio touch screen sensor that will work on any operating system and plugs in via usb.
http://cgi.ebay.com/15-16-10-USB-Pa...temQQptZComputer_Monitors?hash=item439df75378

so now my plan is to buy that and possibly a broken powerbook g4 just in case I need extra parts for anything to something to mod to make the touch sensor fit properly inside the powerbook lcd housing.

All together this is like 90 bucks canadian to buy this screen and turn my powerbook into a touch screen powerbook then all thats left is to figure out some way to make a 180 degree rotating hinge right in the middle of the powerbook so then I can lay it down flat just like normal tablet pc's

now my biggest question is has anyone done anything like this before so i can use there write up on it for info to base mine off of or will I have to do all of this on my own and be the first to make a cheap conversion for the powerbook that actually has full screen access.

-Ben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.