PowerBook Theft Precautions.....

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, May 1, 2004.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Hey all,

Let's imagine the unimaginable: your beloved PowerBook is stolen. Hopefully, you've done the basics to prevent any sensitive data on your system from being discovered by 1) requiring a password to wake from sleep/screensaver, and 2) encrypting your Home folder with FileVault.

But what if you don't have any password requirements set and what if you haven't encrypted with FileVault?

Is there any way to track using your IP or Airport address and send a nasty message to whoever is illegally using your system?

What else can you do to recover your PowerBook, other than pray and hope? :)

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

1) I do 2) Heck no. with my luck, I'd forget the password.

Anyways, I've been thinking about LapCop, but there are times when I forget to change my network location, and I wouldn't want to be reported for stealing my laptop :eek:

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

The thing is with things like this is that everyone would use them if they were free to install but cost money when used to recover a stolen machine. $25USD upfront is pretty steep for something that the majority of people will never use. I would like to see their recovery stats based upon users base etc. I imagine that lapcop hasn't been used much. If it were free to install but cost $25 when you wanted to trace it, then I think they would make allot more money.

:)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I really don't think that's the way it works. You specify one, or maybe a few (?), internet connection that you'd typically use, and whenever you connect your laptop to an internet connection that you didn't specify, an email is automatically sent to your email address to tell you info such as the IP address, and possibly which state/province/area, city, and country in which it's being used.

If you decided to use your laptop at an internet cafe or something, then you can delete that email because you know exactly why your laptop was used at the cafe. However, if your laptop was stolen, the email will provide vital information.

It sounds full-proof unless a thief checks specifically for LapCop on your computer. Not exactly the first thing I'd be thinking of if I were to steal a laptop, but I guess I'm not a thief...

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

1. Back-up any data you can't afford to lose regularly and to multiple systems.

2. Insure the sh*t out of your laptop.

3. Replace it with a better model when the scum-sucking pig-dog half-inches it.

This is the best way... ;)

Obviously if you can get your employers to buy and insure the machine in the first place, it helps. :D

6. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, but then the laptop wouldn't be yours. :p ;) :)

I've insured mine up the wazoo. :D

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Ah yes, materialism run wild... ;)

My Uni upgrades my PowerBook every two years as long as I request it, I've always requested it so far, although the 17 I have now was a rev A and was no end of trouble till it went back to Apple and got fixed.

I don't feel like the machine isn't mine, no-one else has access, no-one audits is (our IT couldn't be bothered to check the Macs out), and there's no spyware on it.

I recieved it from new in its sealed box, I registered it.... It's mine... MINE I tell you.... :cool:

I have to say, it's belonging to the Uni is entirely offset by the fact it's free. :D

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Damn you, you lucky bastard. :eek:

I insured mine for $20 CAD/$14 US dollars per year, no deductible. I just did it on house insurance. But I still say LapCop is good. Sometimes the files you have on your computer are worth more than the computer itself. That's not the case for me, but I'm sure it is for many people out there.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Jesus and Satan were having a programming contest to decide who was the greatest. The two of them were coding furiously and finally it came down to the deadline and power dies. When the power comes back Satan starts whining that he lost everything in power outage. Jesus turns on his computer and the program is there and running and Jesus wins.

Moral of the story, Jesus Saves!

Relevance of the story, backup backup backup. Though admittedly I once was making a backup as the power went out and it at both the original and the backup :(

10. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, he does! ;) :)

Wow, that is amazing, a free 17" PowerBook for your use and your use only!?! Holy cow.

Do you go to a private college, or public? Here in the USA, our public schools (at least in California) are so strapped for cash that I don't think they'll ever hand out PowerBooks to students. And even if they had the cash, they wouldn't trust us with them.

There's a Christian college up in Oregon that a friend of mine is attending right now. When you start classes there, if you're a math or science major, you get a ThinkPad. If you're in any of the arts, you get a iBook. Interesting, huh?

11. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

A helpful way to keep your laptop from being stolen in the first place is to use a computer lock. Also, if you have a desk with a lockable drawer, put it in there, lock the drawer and use the computer lock. Of course there really is no lock or cable a determined thief can't cut or break, but the more inconvenient it is for the theif the better your chances.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

One of the little-followed rules: have at least two sets of backup media.

Some systems I manage are backed up to tape. I have two backup tapes, one that's two generations old and is to be used for the next backup and one that's one generation old and is off-site. That way, even if a flash flood washes away the computer and all its peripherals during the backup, I have a safe copy of the data. And if a meteor lands on the offsite copy, I would immediately take the on-site copy off-site.

Having three sets would be even better, making it easier to swap an on-site set with an off-site set without ever having all backup copies in the same place at the same time while in transit.