Powerbook Ti Discontinued Sept 10-14 should be announced

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by Jeffx342, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffx342 macrumors regular

I herd Apple wants to discontinue Powerbooks reason is:

1. too expensive
    2. pain in the ass to manufacture them
    3 not enough people are buying them

September 10-14 we are probably goin to find out if Apple is Discontinueing or releasing the next edition of Powerbooks

No if Apple Discontinues pbTi they will not have anything replacing it or anything better

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Troll-O-Meter

------0-----1-----2-----3-----4-----5-----6-----7-----8-----9-----
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Not even a quality trolling, this troll is a little too thinly spread to even be called a real troll.

This troll came in with a bang at around 9 and had good chance of spreading terror, but when confronted quickly spammed his vomit throughout multiple discussion areas lowering the score.

And sadly when in defense of his rumor, uses Crazy Apple Rumors as a source which quickly tanked the final score.

---

This post has been reworked to protect new readers.

3. vniow macrumors G4

Are you on some kind of mission? I mean most of your posts have been on Apple discontinuing the Powerbook and releasing a new model at Paris. What gives? :confused:

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm, it'dd be sad if it does cuz the pb was around for years :(, it'dd be sad to see it go, maybe that might mean g4 models of ibook?

5. Jeffx342 thread starter macrumors regular

INFO

PowerBook G4s are becoming scarce leading up to next month's Worldwide Developers Conference. Crazy Apple Rumors Site has learned that Apple will announce that it is discontinuing the PowerBook line completely.

Apple sources close to the manufacture of the PowerBook indicate that the highly successful professional laptop will be discontinued because it is "a pain in the ass to produce."

"Have you looked in one of those things?" CARS' source asked. "There's all kinds of wires and plugs and these sharp looking brass jobbies that I'm not even sure if it's okay to touch."

"It's really fricking complicated."

Indeed, comments made by Apple Senior Vice President for Hardware Engineering Jon Rubinstein over the past few months corroborate the view that Apple has simply become fed up with producing the award-winning PowerBook G4.

When asked about a potential update to the PowerBook during an interview with the press at January's Macworld San Francisco, Rubinstein sighed heavily and rolled his eyes. "Man, I really don't want to open that thing up again. The last time we did, there were six screws and this little thing that looked like a square bottle cap left over when we were finished. We just sat there staring at each other. No one had any idea where they were supposed to go."

Meeting with Apple resellers last month, Rubinstein again voiced complaints about the complex design of the PowerBook.

"You have no idea how hard it was to get the combo drive into that machine," Rubinstein said. "Me and Greg Joswiak had to push on the back while two engineers shoved the drive in from the other side. There was this horrible scraping sound. Hopefully that'll be the last time we have to change the drive for a while."

CARS' source said the PowerBook will not be replaced by a new model. "What, replace one really complicated laptop with another really complicated laptop? Yeah, no thanks."

This change in Apple's product lineup is not expected to affect the consumer-level iBook, which the source said was "more like an Etch-A-Sketch" in terms of complexity.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: INFO

You do realize that CARS is a parody site... right?

If not... you know, I hear someone gave birth to a Bat-Boy in west virginia. ;)

arn

7. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

even I knew that...

I may be a newbie, but even I knew CARS was a paradoy site. Did anyone catch the article on iMrMicrophone? Funny stuff...

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Please tell us you're being sarcastic.

Since I don't have a very good sense of humor, I almost thought you were serious. I didn't even realize that "Contest Searchlight" was a parody until towards the end of the first episode. I had to watch it again (which as most of you know was no big deal because Comedy Central replays their stuff almost as much as MTV). It was pretty obvious that it was a joke by the second episode.

Where's Alpha when you need him?

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

There's no way Apple would discontinue the PowerBook line. It would totally screw up their product matrix, and high-end laptop users would be turned off by the consumerishness of the iBook. No way. This is a load of you-know-what. :rolleyes:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

From Crazy Plane Rumor site ...

Boeing to stop making 747s, fake executive quoted as saying "yeah they're one of our biggest sellers, but have you seen how many parts go into one one those things."

After buying the guy a few more drinks we were able to further learn, "Boeing will be replacing the 747 with paper airplanes."

The bag of peanuts bought us, "It takes 3-4 months to build a 747, but only minutes to make a paper airplane."

11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Re: From Crazy Plane Rumor site ...

Well, this is a bad analogy, as Boeing has publicly announced that it will be phasing out the 747 as the 777 has the same seating capacity, but operates for 66% the cost. I read a Boeing press release on the subject recently...

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Like McDonald's joining the PETA express and dropping all meat products from their menu would be a better example that the 747.

13. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

M$ TO STOP OFFICE SUITE DEVELOPMENT

I heard microSOFT wants to discontinue micros*#t office development.

The reason appears to be, according to programmers and developers:

1. The bugs just keep on coming, a lot worse than the plague during moses' time.

2. Programmers' block. They forgot how to innovate.

3. More and more M$ employees started using pen and paper for memos etc. and making paper planes to send them to other employees.

Sources say, it is more relaxing, and it is fun to make and fly paper airplanes.

According to sources, these are not the only reasons. Maybe you guys have heard others...?

Between September 10-14 microS*%T will announce this news officially.

M$ will not have anything replacing it or anything better :D

14. Bear macrumors G3

Actually if one were to check the lead times for new orders of Powerbooks on the Apple store, they have not changed.

For the last few product updates, leadtimes seem to have increased, especially for the notebooks a couple of weeks before the updates were announced.

Custom Powerbook 3-5 days
    Standard Powerbook 1-2 days
    ibook 1-3 days
    These don't look like low stock leadtimes to me.

<SARCASM>Oh, I forgot, when did logic have to do with anything?</SARCASM>

15. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Hmmmm... I am a German. Shall I be offended now or not? I am not sure so far.

groovebuster

16. dnte42 macrumors regular

That bat boy was my fault, but the little bugger just gnawed his way thru my stomach...oh yeah, he had a discontinued TiBook in his hands. Bizarre.

17. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I knew it was only a matter of time before this happened... there's no reason to be offended, the sentence is not associating "stupid" with "Germans". The British comedy show Red Dwarf is merely suggesting that there are a proliferation of German tourists, that's all.

18. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

That's because Germans (much like the French) are disliked by the British people as a whole.

So yeah... It is kind of offensive, but I don't think Hemm meant it that way. Now kiss and make up. ;)

19. Jeffx342 thread starter macrumors regular

20. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

STOP!

dear dude,
    please stop posting the same exact thing in multiple threads. it is really lame. thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Everyone else.

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Please use the "report a post" link for problems like these threads. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.