PowerBook Ti- Paint

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Dec 13, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    We all know that the titanium series of powerbooks have there problem of paint chipping off. Is there a way to fix this problem. I've heard about Ti Paint but i haven't found too many reviews. Theres also the option of a new top casing which costs around $200 from stores online.

Could some one tell me how good Ti Paint is, how much it would cost to get the top casing replaced by apple, or any other solution to this problem.

2. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    well if you are going to repaint it yourself you will have to be good with a paint brush to get anywhere near the finish that it had originally!
  3. garybUK Guest

Jun 3, 2002
    Ti Paint is bobbins! the white 'paint'... you may as well use tip-ex its that bad! the silver stuff aint too bad and they give u a matchstick to apply it. Not good...

The paint work on my Ti book is appauling and for the price it is not a good thing Apple should be condemmed for what they did to this range of laptops.

The old G3 powerbooks like the pismo go for more ££ because they don't have pealing paint that really lowers the resale price.
  4. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I've had 3 of them and each one has been perfect with no problems in the paint department, my current Ti 1GHz is 2 years old in January and you'd swear it was brand new, truly immaculate not 1 scratch, peel or any other defect.
  5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    The silver paint on my 3 year old TiBook is beautiful. The white edge has some nicks in it. I think the early TiBooks really had some paint problems, though.
  6. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    i thought those were the aluminum powerbooks, and didn't suffer from the titanium paint problems. maybe they use the same paint. my problem with my tibook, is that it does have a little 'nick on the wrist rest area. aesthetically, i dont mind it at all. but if it touches my skin at a certain angle - it kindof burns and hurts as if i'm getting bitten by an insect.

i've heard awful reviews regarding the tipaint, as many people would order it, and it would arrive with the paint dried up in the tube already. so i looked around for another solution and the only one i thought was worthwhile was the tiarmor solution.
  7. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    The 12 and 17-inch aluminum powerbooks were announced at MWSF 2003 and shipped in February/March. The 15" TiBook wasn't "aluminized" until around August/September of '03.

My 15" TiBook turned 2 last week and has a small scratch on the lid which I honestly believe occurred sometime during Week 1. Other than that no blemishes. But that scratch... I often lie awake at night thinking about it...
  8. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2004
    My nearly 4 year old Rev. A 400Mhz Titanium Powerbook shows a good deal of wear and tear, especially around the corners. The white paint around the screen on the bottom back is peeling like crazy. I've thought about buying the Ti Paint, but at this point it's not worth it in my opinion. I'm looking to upgrade to a new Powerbook within the next few months so I can deal with the unpleasantness of its appearance for a little while longer. Besides, the thing still works like a dream (as well as a computer like this can in today's world anyway).
  9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    I must have gotten lucky because I purchased my TiBook in the first half of 2001 and it still looks nice.
  10. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Most of the Ti Powerbooks I've seen have a good deal of paint problems, especially around the trackpad from people's wrists resting there as they type, and if you ever wear a metal watch while typing on a Ti, I'm sorry.
  11. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Yet I've yet to see any Tibooks with any paint problems, it's a funny old world isn't it. :eek: :)

I can't even put it down to just the earlier Rev A models either, I bought a 500MHz one as soon as they released in '01 and sold it at the end of 2002 and it was immaculate (and it saw heavy use, but was taken care of) and still is as one my friends bought it off me.

My current TiBook purchased in January '03 is boxfresh, I could sell it tomorrow and you'd swear it had just come off the production line even though it gets carted around on the Tube everyday and has produced the goods on beaches to bars.

Interestingly I've found them to be just as durable as my old Pismo works PowerBook, actually the rubber bit on that lid was really easy to mark.
  12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    I have a TiBook, a 550Mhz model. Despite it's age, slow speed and low VRAM (compared to today's models) I absolutely love it to death and would never part with it :)

The paint is really coming off though, to the point where it's really ugly and I somewhat desperately want to fix it. I've attached a picture, sorry it's low quality, it's from my cell phone.

Attached Files:

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    I was in one of my favorite Mac stores today and ran across some TiPaint. In a moment of weakness I bought some (not cheap.)

I put it on a few hours ago and let it dry. It's not the best but I think it looks a lot better now :)

Attached Files: