Powerbook Tiger install - "you cannot install to this..."

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pickwick, Jul 28, 2005.

1. pickwick macrumors newbie

Jul 28, 2005
    I have recently purchased a used Powerbook G4 800 mhz 1 gig mem 40 gig hard drive.

I have tried to install tiger to no avail.

I have a real install disc (two of them).

I ran the hardware test and it told me that I didn't have the right kind of hard drive.

Any suggestions?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Reformat the disk in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Use the Disk Utility that can be accessed in the menu while running the Tiger installer.

NOTE: This will DELETE everything on the disk so backup anything on it you want to keep before doing it.
  3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    The cause may be unrelated, but I got exactly this error after replacing the hard drive in a Pismo (G3 400) PB. However, after formatting the drive (HFS Extended (Journaled)) and then rebooting, it worked fine on the second try, as if the installer didn't "recognize" the formatting the first time through (even though it did show the disk after I formatted).

As such, you might try reformatting the drive (again, make sure everythign on it is COMPLETELY backed up, as this will permanently wipe the drive), then rebooting, and see if that makes a difference.

What do you mean that the hardware test CD said you have the wrong kind of drive, though? You mean you ran the Hardware Test CD that came with your Mac and it gave you an error? That would be something completely different, and might be a physical problem with the drive, though I can't imagine what a "wrong kind of drive" error would be.
  4. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    Is it a 'real' install disk that was bought retail, or a 'real' install disk that came with a mac?