Powerbook to 32" HD LCD resolution advice needed

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macs4ever, Feb 6, 2007.

1. macs4ever macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Having got a new MBP courtesy of Continental who caused £1500 of damage to my PB 17" 1.5GHz, I wasnt ready to throw my PB in the bin. The screen is broken and the case is badly damaged ...but it still works (with an external screen). I want to use my old PB as a media centre on my TV with internet access. A prehistoric Apple TV, if you will.

I have a 32" LCD HDTV and used a DVI-D -> HDMI connector to connect up the PB. The initial screen did not fill the entire TV screen and had inches of black frames around it. There were lines across the desktop which distorted images and text.

I have used SwitchResX to try and find a suitable resolution. After days of trying various resolutions and fiddling around with the settings, I have had to settle for 1024x768. The TV resolution is 1366 x 1080, but any resolution involving 1080 comes up with those distortion lines and does not fill the entire screen.

With the 1024x768 setting, I lose any distortion, but the icons etc are enormous ...which isnt necessarily a bad thing. However I would like it so I could have a higher resolution as one window can monopolise the screen - which becomes a bit annoying.

This 1024x768 setting also exceeds the TV screen real estate so the top OS bar (apple sign, File, Edit...) is clipped off, the bottom 1cm is lost and i lose about 2cms on both sides of the desktop.

Is there anyway in which i can have a more defined resolution, without loss of screen real estate and without any distortion? Or will my Powerbook graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM) not support a higher resolution?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Has the TV got a VGA input? It should work fine with VGA but DVI -> HDMI is notoriously difficult to get to work with computers especially for the non-standard 1366 width.

1366x1080 is a strange resolution, normally it would be 1366x768 or 1920x1080.

Have you tried fiddling with the Overscan setting?
  3. macs4ever thread starter macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Oh sorry, your right the TV resolution is 1366x768. There is no VGA option; only scarts, a component & HDMI. The distortion seems to appear when the resolution is interlaced - as the majority of set external screen resolutions offered by my MBP are.