Powerbook to TV via S Video

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by HuskyDomains, Nov 6, 2004.

1. HuskyDomains macrumors newbie

Hello~

Today I purchased a Male to Male S Video Cable to attempt to connect my Mac to my TV.. When I plug in the S Video Cable into the Mac (Powerbook 15 In 1.5 TV Out ATI Radeon 9700 etc), I can detect 2 displays, my Color LCD @ 1280 x 854 and a second 800 x 600 60Hz NTSC (Millions) display which I'm assuming is my television (A Samsung DynaFlat 20" with S Video Input). My TV/Video options under the TV are AV1,AV2,and DVD.. Selecting any of these simple brings up a black screen as if there is nothing connected, yet the mac reconginizes the connection.. Any ideas?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Some TVs have one 'input' that really has more than one jack, such as having 'AV1' with both conventional RCA jacks and S-Video. Make sure that ONLY the S-Video is plugged in. If that doesn't work, try the RCA jack (using the adaptor supplied with the PowerBook.) If the RCA works, but not the S-Video, then see if you can find another TV with S-Video to plug the PowerBook in to, or another S-Video device (such as a camcorder) to test the S-Video plug on the TV.

If the RCA jack ALSO does not work (make sure to try all of the TV's inputs,) try the RCA jack on another TV as well. If neither the RCA nor the S-Video work out of the PowerBook, call Apple.

(Oh, try mirroring mode also, just to be sure that you don't just have a black background on the other 'monitor'.)

3. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

with my pc it will only work if i have it at a really low resolution... try that

4. HuskyDomains thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to wait till I get home to check it out with my TV there.. I'm currently in my dorm at college, thus my options are limited in dealing with using numerous TV's.. Its weird because when I unplug the S Video and then detect displays it only finds the color LCD and when I plug it back in, it detects both, meaning that the card is finding the TV... I simply cant get the TV to show the S Video input

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you know how to select the inputs on the TV? On many TVs, you cycle through the inputs by clicking the TV/VIDEO button on the remote. Your TV will display the label of each input. Other TVs have a special button for S-Video. Whatever your problem, I believe that its solution lies in learning how your TV works.

6. HuskyDomains thread starter macrumors newbie

The only inputs it cycles through are AV1,AV2 and DVD which is a side input... There's no option for S Video and no S Video button on the remote.. The instructions only show where the input is, and give no further details.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You should input a known source, such as a VCR, in the S-Video port. That will help you familiarize yourself with that TV and its input ports.