Powerbook trackpad issue?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Lurker, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Lurker macrumors newbie

Hi

I've just noticed a 'ripple' or 'bump'( for want of a better description) in my trackpad.
    It's in the centre of the trackpad. It's only noticeable at a certain angles but can be felt when using the trackpad. But only slightly.

Is there a possibility that something is under there?Lint?
    Would it be possible for me to somehow check?
    Should I take it into Apple to have checked out?

I've only had the Pb for 3/4 weeks and am new to Mac/Pb so I'm not sure what I should/can do.
    In the greater scheme of things it's not too serious. But is a source of irritation everytime I use the track pad and feel that ripple/bump.

(Is it possible that the trackpad can be damaged externally?)

Hope someone can shed some light

(This has been bugging me for days)

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I don't have this in my new PB, but I had something like that in my old TiBook. Not sure what causes it.

3. altair macrumors regular

Do you live near a apple retail store? If you do just bring it in and ask the Genius.

4. Lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

Update.

I called Apple care, to get an idea of what I could do. Not much help unfortunately.
    (Long story...in a nut shell). Advice given.Send it in.
    Apparently, according to the consultant on the phone, taking it to the Bar would be not much help either and they could not do on-site repairs. (I'm a Mac newbie...when I bought my Pb from the store the sales-person gave me the distinct impression that they did. I guess he was blowing smoke up my a$$ to get the sale). At best he said they could help access the issue and ALSO suggest sending it in. (Back to square one).

In a perfect world I would have hoped they had a service centre at the Apple store, access the problem and repair on site.

Decided to do some Xmas shopping along Michigan Ave this evening, ended up outside Apple store.
    So I went in, and decided to "test" all demo 17" Pbs on the floor. Of the 4, 17" Pb trackpads I tried out, 3 has the same 'issue". With firm, constant lateral movement of my finger from right to left, from bottom to top of the trackpad. I felt a bump/ripple/indentation in the centre of the 3 Pbs' trackpads. Pressure applied was firm but NOT 'heavy'.
    This was kinda of comforting to know that this is not an isolated issue and that I was not overly sensitive(touch). That ripple/bump/dent is indeed here.
    On the Pb that did not have the 'issue'...the trackpad was firm and did not give under firm pressure. The other 3 trackpads did feel a tad 'spongier, and gave way under firm pressure, and I felt the centre bump/dent/ripple/indentation.

However, I do feel much better knowing that there are other trackpads such as mine. Although a bit irritating.
    Weighing the pros and cons. I'm not taking the chance of some 'techie' opening up my awesome Pb :D and messing up something else just to have a smoother trackpad. 'Let sleeping dogs lie'

I picked up a Bluetooth mouse so that I will now use my trackpad less.

:)
    ps. On the right side of my Pb, just right of the speaker grill, my Pb squeaks when pressed. Left side not. I 'tested' this on the demo 17"s as well. Of the 4, 2 squeaked as well. ;)

Still love my awesome 17". 8th Nov. will be 1 month I've had my Pb. :)

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think you're always gonna get inconsistencies in the builds on these things, the trackpad on my 17" sits a little lower on the left than the right, not a big deal, and you only notice it occasionally.

The trackpad has an underlying frame support, and the conductive layer isn't very thick, you may be feeling a support.

If it works, as you say, don't try to fix it.

The 17" PowerBook is the best laptop on the planet, these details aside.

6. Lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

Wintermute

I agree with your comment on the build inconsistencies in general. :)

(Just wish the dent/ripple shadow on my trackpad was not there)

Bluetooth mouse is working well so far, after I had to reset the PRAM to get the Bluetooth module 'revived' ;)

7. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

No dents or ripples here, but my trackpad on my 12 incher sits lower on the left than the right also!

Still the best computer I've ever used though, so I'm not complaining.

8. sahnert macrumors 6502

mine too. never noticed before.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'd say the Apple Store folks know more than the Apple Care Phone people. Well, in my experience taking it in store saved me $1100. Yes, $1100 against replacing the screen. I told the lady on the phone that the Apple Genius I talked to said it was covered by warranty. She then called the store to confirm my story, and sure enough the Apple Genius went with me and it was pie. If I had called, I would have had to spend $1100.