Powerbook trackpad problem...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by proverbs, Jan 24, 2006.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

i had my pb for close to a year and it started have a weird trackpad problem last week. occasionally, the trackpad will stall and i can't move it around. if i keep trying to move the cursor it will work slowly start to work after about 10 seconds.

has anyone had this problem? and anyone know why this happens? i am very careful with my pb so i'm guessing it's just bad luck. and will apple replace the trackpad or fix it since its still under warranty? thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I get similar issues when my iBook is running hot. Usually restarting or even resetting the PMU helps.

Otherwise, there may be a bubble under the trackpad in which case Apple should replace it under warranty.

3. powerbookje macrumors member

powerbookje

I think this is a known problem on Powerbooks with the scrolling trackpad. The solution is in one of the knowledge base articles on apple.com

basicly you have to put your hand on your trackpad, and slowly remove it. It always works for me and 10 co-workers... no need to reboot :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting. What exactly do you remove? :)

FWIW, tapping or wiping the trackpad can also sometimes help.

5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i had a motherboard problem with my 1,67 Ghz powerbook 15". the motherboard was replaced and eversince i keep having this trackpad problem, just as mad jew described.

i initially thought it has something to do with the cold weather. it is winter you know and someone told me, if my fingers are moist, the trackpad could go crazy.

i did a little experiment and i stayed in a temperature regulated area. i stayed in the room for about an hour, worked on some papers, made notes and all that stuff. then BOOM. my trackpad kept stalling.

i would appreciate it, if somebody could tell me if this is a known problem or not.

please pm me if possible (or answer this thread) :)

6. nxent macrumors 6502

stop what you're doing right now and go get that taken care of. apple does fix the trackpad since it's still under warranty.

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i asked this question in another thread, but i haven't gotten an answer (yet). is this double posting then? if so, sorry, but i would really want to find out, if apple has acknowledged the problem officially. or what is the official stance here?

8. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

I've had this problem on my ibook for a while, if tapping repeatedly on the trackpad don't work i flip the screen down, forcing sleep, then open it again and everything is grand... until it happens again.
    Certainly not a cure, or a diagnosis for that matter but i can live with it.