Powerbook trackpad

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Michael7k, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Michael7k macrumors member

I have a new Powerbook 1.67 17" that is eight weeks old. The unit has been great until the track pad when crazy. I can open the browser and it scrolls normal until I try and click on a link. Once I try this it will then scroll to the bottom of the page. When I scroll up with the two fingers or arrow keys it continues to scroll back down once you remove fingers or off arrow key. I will then stop once at the bottom of a page. When clicking on a desktop icon it runs through selecting each icon on the desktop. I can’t double click on anything. Did I hit some key?

Please, would anyone have any idea? As many I have work to do on it and cannot work on it?

Thank you for your suggestions or ideas. I appreciate it very much.

Michael

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

You can try resetting the trackpad (place your palm over the entire surface [making contact] for 2 seconds or so) and/or rebooting. Sometimes the trackpad gets confused because of static electricity, etc. This is natural, because it's a device that measures capacitance, which gets all wonky when hit by a static discharge.

3. Michael7k thread starter macrumors member

Matt,

Thank you for your reply regarding my track pad problem. Apple support thought it could be a cable or something kinked under the keyboard and wanted me to take it to the local CompUSA service center for them to look at it. Depending what they say I will then more than likely send it to them for repairs. We looked at the Universal Key pad while chatting with him. It is acting like the three-bottom arrow keys are being depressed. Dang, does it always happen to me? Thanks for your assistance; I will let you know what was discovered.

Michael

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

try plugging in the powerbook using the full length cable. that cable also plugs in the earth AKA ground pin (middle pin in the wall plug) and releases any static in the device into the big round blue sphere we live on.