Powerbook Trade Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JackSYi, May 17, 2005.

1. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I have a 15" Powerbook G4 with 1.33 GHz, Combo Drive, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, 64 MB VRAM, its a Rev. C. I wanted to trade for a 12" with similar specs, a guy who lives near me offered his 12" Rev. C G4 with virtually the exact same specs (Combo Drive, 512MB RAM, 1.33 G4) the only difference is that I bought mine in January and he bought his a year ago (which means its out of warranty), he also offered 200-300 cash along with this trade, also he would be willing to drive a couple hours to where I live. Is this trade worth it, because I am a full-time student and need the portability, and the 15" is good but not good enough to carry around to all of my classes, I also only use my computer to listen to music, surf the internet and word process. I also am planning on purchase a 20" ACD with or without the trade. Thanks. :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I personally don't think it's a good deal. No warrentee, and there was more than a $300 difference between the models, before he used his for a year. I think you can do better.

3. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Definitely not a good deal. You can probably sell yours on eBay and get like $1300 for it (depending on condition). Then use the money to pick up a refurb Rev. C 12" from Apple for $1299 with a 1 year warranty *and* a copy of Tiger. Even if you end up paying a little extra for it, it's worth it for the 1 year warranty IMO.

Just a thought...

4. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for your inputs; but the fact is that, I really want a 12" and I do not trust ebay anymore after a couple of unfortunate incidents, and I also want the money, because I will be saving up for the newest 12" powerbook late this year or early next year, and I will hand down my old powerbook to my sister, 3rd year in college, and I want her to have portability.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Put it up on MR as a feeler and see what you can get if you haven't tried that as of yet :rolleyes:

6. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a