powerbook trouble

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Redneck1089, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Hi. I bought a 1 GHz powerbook in November 2002, and it recently took a big fall off a desk at school. The screen broke in the left hand corner and i had to get it replaced. But, ever since the fall, when ever i put a cd into the superdrive i get this noise. It sounds like something is rubbing inside the drive. The thing also vibrates like you wouldn't believe.

Do any of you have any ideas on what the problem maybe? or should i just take the powerbook into the store. It still reads dvds and cds perfectly, but i am worried that it will eventually stop.

Thanks

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Are the cds or dvds scracted after coming out of the drive?

Have it looked at. The rotating devices in the cd-rom could be producing the noise and vibration.. if so they're also producing excess heat. Not a good thing.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

We have had people in our store who have had the same problem after dropping their PB. There is a magnet that if knocked loss it can cause a hell of a racket. The magnet is getting moved around when the Super drive is rotating which causes it to rattle, have an apple repair person look at this.

4. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

No. I can't see any scratches on the cds after they come out. I think I will take it in, but i need it for school. Do you think they'll have to replace the whole super drive? and if so, what it will cost?

thanks again:)

5. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Also while I'm asking you all about this problem i may as well ask about another one too. When ever i play a game like Quake 3 arena or Unreal tournament 2003 the picture seems to break up with little red lines when a rocket or explosion goes off. any ideas what may cause that to happen?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the help.

6. GigaWire macrumors 6502

You'll have much better luck getting this question answered by asking it in its own thread on the Mac Gaming board here @ Macrumors.

7. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Alright sorry, I'm still finding my way around.