Powerbook turns on by itself

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nsheikh80, Sep 3, 2005.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I have my Powerbook setup in clamshell mode with a Bluetooth keyboard. I put the Powerbook to sleep and then I can wake it up by hitting any key on the keyboard, works a charm.

However, last night I was woken by the loud noise of the fan of my Powerbook. Some how the Powerbook had turned on by itself.

This happened to me once before I started using the Powerbook with the Bluetooth keyboard.

Does anyone know why this might happen?

2. mrviga macrumors member

I have the exact same problem all the time. I put my powerbook to sleep, and then it wakes up randomly. What happens is the little "Signal Lost" message wakes up the computer. It happens with both my keyboard and mouse. I don't know how to fix it as checking the option to NOT allow my computer to be awoken by bluetooth items did not fix it.

Anyone know how to disable those disclaimers? They are pretty useless anyways.

Joe B.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Is the PowerBook set to sleep/wake up on a schedule?

Are the batteries low, and so did they try to send a "Low Batt" signal to the PowerBook, causing it to wake?

What about "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer", is that on or off?

4. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

The first time this happened I had no Bluetooth device paired with the computer. The second time this happened I did have my keyboard paired to the computer and it was set to "Allow Bluetooth device to wake".

If I keep the power unplugged it never wakes.

I haven't got any schedules setup to allow the Powerbook to wake by itself.

Truely spooky!

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Your PowerBook wants to play with you more than you do.

:p

6. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

i'd say a particulary heavy fly bit the dust in mid flight and plumetted onto the keyboard, stirring your powerbook into an awakened state of frenzy, ready for comforting.

7. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Did check the setting in Energy Saver/Options if "Wake when modem detects a ring" and "Wake for Ethernet netwotk administrator access" is turned off/disabled.

Other than that, I have no idea what could be the problem

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Maybe something fell? Big jolts have arisen my 'book.

And no, I didn't drop it! I dropped a textbook next to it (weights 2x as much, does 20x as little) and it woke up. :confused:

9. mrviga macrumors member

That's because of the way the mechanism that tells the PB that it is closed works. It's a little magnet that pulls up a metal sensor. Kinda tempermantal if you ask me, but I trust Apple engineers know what they are doing. Dropping the book must have jarred that sensor just enough to wake it.

I still have that problem. I hope Apple addresses it soon because it must happen to everyone who sets their computer to sleep and has a bluetooth device.

Joe B.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I knew about the magnet, etc. Guessed as much. Just was (and still is) aggravating that my books weight so freaking much...