powerbook updates are nearing...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adamjay, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. adamjay macrumors 6502a

    adamjay

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2004
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #1
    a buddy of mine is looking at getting a refurbished 15" aluminum powerbook and noticed that the price went down $100 in the last day.

    i went to apple's refurbished store site to see that all powerbooks have come down in price, some more than others.

    you can get an 867mhz 12" combo drive for $1049 !!!

    i think this means powerbook updates are getting closer and closer.
    regardless of if its gonna be a G5 (doubt it), its a good sign.
     
  2. primalman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    at the end of the hall
    #3
    I think it is safe to say that PB updates in 1-2 weeks, and PowerMac updates next Tuesday. Have you seen the new apple.com front page? And edu is getting deeper discounts on G5s on order, not quotes though. Means only one thing to me. Updates are here.
     
  3. ign macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Firenze
    #4
    if powerbooks are out in 1/2 weeks

    what about ibooks,
    when do you guys think they'd put them out?
    I have seen some cool discounts on ibooks 14"
    so I thought I'd wait for the new models to come out
     
  4. primalman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    at the end of the hall
    #5
    I do not think we will see iBook G4 updates until at least late spring. This is when schools will be preparing purchases for the fall. Same goes for eMacs and iMacs, but iMacs could be a little earlier than these. I think that WWDC will see some sort of special edition Mac [20th aniv], based on an iMac idea, it will be AIO but have a G5.
     
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

    GFLPraxis

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    #6
    NOOOOO!

    I just got me a 1 GHz PB last month!
     
  6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #7
    I wouldn't hold my breath on PB updates in 1-2 weeks, esp. if new PMs and displays arrive the 23rd or 30th. Apple will want (and need) to get all the publicity and buzz it can, for as long as it can, with the new PMs and LCDs. And given the IBM announcement on 3-31, I'd say PBs in 1-2 weeks just isn't going to happen.

    Also, what exactly would Apple update on the PBs? WAY too soon for G5s, too soon for the new G4 from Moto (unless they delivered early), and to put the 1.4 in the 17, the 1.3 in the 15, etc., would just be ridiculous--what would be the point? And from a sales perspective, it would make NO sense to update the HDs and video cards without bumping the processors or dropping the price, which, as someone else pointed out, is not a tenable position.

    I can see two possibilities. The first is an update using the new G4 at 1.5 GHz. This could be announced in late April/early May, delivery in late May/early June. The second is an announcement by SJ of PB G5s at WWDC, with availability in Q3/Q4--essentially a repeat of the G5 rollout last year. And he question only Apple can answer is this--Is the game worth the candle?

    Best,

    Bob
     
  7. srobert macrumors 68020

    srobert

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2002
  8. Zaty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #9
    A few days ago, the PB's status on the Buyer's Guide changed from "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" to "Don't Buy - Updates soon", (that change was discussed in this thread:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=64034&highlight=powerbooks). But now it's been changed back to "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"! Personally, I think that we won't see PowerBooks update until at least mid April because I don't think Apple would release new PMs and PBs simultaneously. If they did, depending on what the new revisions look like, one update would take all the attention from the other.
     
  9. jade macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    #10
    the key date is

    Well since all the promos expire on 3/27, we are looking at the last week of March or early April. Watch for them then.
     
  10. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #11
    The promos aren't for the powerbooks, though. :rolleyes:
     
  11. jade macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    #12

    you forgot about the powerbook trade in program. 1st genreration Tibook owners could upgrade to a 15 or 17" albook and get $700 credit on that purchase.(with their old Tibook)
     
  12. Spyharpy macrumors member

    Spyharpy

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #13
    I'm set on purchasing a 12" Powerbook and a 20" Cinema Display to replace my aging desktop setup. Given that the last updates to the Powerbook line took place last September, some form of updates must be forthcoming since it has been six months. If the Powerbooks were updated a couple months ago, I'd buy right now. I just don't want to buy a Powerbook at the end of it's product life cycle.
     
  13. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #14
    I suppose...
    But that really isn't that big of a promotion.

    Sorry powerbook waiters. I just don't think that you will see an update until WWDC, when Apple announces a powerbook G5 and an iBook with the new moto processor. The soonest I forsee is a release in mid-late April, and if not, it will be at WWDC. I wish it were sooner, because they need updates, ibooks and powerbooks, but I don't think they will be updated soon.

    Come to think of it, everything needs an update. Where are you Apple!?
    YOU HAVE TO STAY COMPETITIVE! :mad:
     
  14. jade macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    #15
    But good for an end of quarter sales spike.

    And those people werre the ones most likely to be holding out for a PB g5. Sounds to me like updates are coming soon.

    Powerbooks and ibooks do not need to be announces together, and the pc world has already stolen the thin and light thunder with Centrino laptops, and emachines has a 64 bit laptop. it is getting to be do or die time for pb updates. 4x-8x DVD burning and 128MB VRam are becoming standard in the PBs price class.
     
  15. ign macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Firenze
    #16
    got it (ibooks will probably come out late spring)!
    So is it worth waiting until then? I mean,
    will the technical improvements be conspicuous?
    screen res. - cache 2nd lev. - ram memory - videocard,
    'cause, if not, i'd rather take the advantage of low ibook
    prices now.
     
  16. Zaty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #17
    If you can wait another 3-4 weeks, wait! If Apple doesn't release new models by late April, it should be safe to buy a current model because this would probably mean that the next revision would have G5s. The earliest release date for a G5 PB is WWDC because Apple won't release G5 PBs silently. (I seriously doubt that the next revision will feature a G5, though).
     

Share This Page