powerbook updates at wwdc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ubbman, May 20, 2005.

1. ubbman macrumors newbie

If some sort of update is announced at WWDC, will it be announced on June 7? Also, how quick would the update or a price drop on the current model occur. I'm concerned because the current $100 rebate for the 12" expires on June 25.

Thanks.

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The most likely PowerBook "update" at WWDC would be the addition of a 17" model with a 1920x1200 screen. This shouldn't impact the prices of existing 12" and 15" models. What it would do to the 1440x900 17" model is an open question.

3. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I honestly don't think there will be any hardware updates. Especially for the PowerBook. Apple just updated them a 3 months ago. My guess is that updated PowerBooks will be updated about November/December.

4. vniow macrumors G4

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Where the problem occurs is that you the delivery must be by the 25th of June. If you really like the current 12" PowerBook, you might be smart to go ahead and purchase.

6. ubbman thread starter macrumors newbie

The delivery of the powerbook to my address?

I know no one knows for sure, but generally, do prices go down quickly when they announce updates, and how long is it normally between the announcement of an update and it actually being on the market?

Thanks.

7. dambro1978 macrumors regular

dreams

powerbooks will have a new 12 or 13.3 wide screen with same hardware and some price drop.
    17" will have HD screen
    ibook will be discontinued in favour of the tbook (tablet book)(see latest apple patent): just a 12 screen and a detachable cover with a very thin keypad and trackpad, with same hardware as existing ibooks.

what do you think?

this is just dreaming,
    i really hope at least a new case and screen for the ibook,
    i'm getting bored of my white g3 600 ibook (where tiger runs decently with 384Mb Ram...)

see you all the 6th of june..

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They won't announce updates at WWDC. Updates are a non-event, and SJ is there to make Apple and his keynote the "event."

And a new form factor for the 12" PB and iBook won't happen until the PB line gets an entirely new form factor, and that'll happen when a new type of processor (dual core G4s!!) is put into the PB.

I'm hoping for a 12" or 13" widescreen Powerbook as well, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat once it comes out, but I have to be realistic and say it won't happen at WWDC.

9. ubbman thread starter macrumors newbie

so there's not a very good chance that they even announce a PB update at WWDC? am I wasting my time?

10. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i think the iBook is too important a product in Apple's lineup for it to be dropped. however, a tablet certainly sounds cool! :D

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Its never a waste of time to be cautious. Since you have the chance for the $100 off, you should go ahead and purchase now. If Steve were to announce something revolutionary, that would be a Rev. A. In that case most would recommend waiting till Rev. B. So why not purchase now and enjoy.

12. ubbman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

My question then, is whether or not announcements usually come at WWDC? As in, is it a good idea to wait until June 7 or is an announcement just as likely to come at any time?

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Lately Apple hasn't been following their normal protocol. Think its partially due to Apple wanting to throw off the rumors. So in answer to your question, Yes Apple could announce a product at anytime. Not just necessarily during the Keynote.

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Whilst I know its the way to go we know the 17" cant run HD without dropping frames...

15. ubbman thread starter macrumors newbie

So June 7th is as arbitrary a date for an update to be announced as any other?

16. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

There will be no PB updates at WWDC (except maybe a 17" with HD res) . Updates to the PB line could happen during the Paris Expo.

The iBooks will not get dropped.

Cheers

17. ubbman thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically, I need the thing by mid August and from what I've been hearing here, it's unlikely that the 12" PB will be updated by then. Also, I'd like to take advantage of the $100 rebate. Is the education discount normally $100 or $200? I seem to remember it being $200 without the rebate, and now they changed it to $100 with the rebate?

Thanks.

18. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Education discount is 10% I believe. NOt sure if your coupon will work combined with educ discount though! Read the fine print!

19. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Question..

Do the powerbooks support core video? I've dabbled into software synthesizers and found that an iBook might not be for me now. The higher the cpu speed and faster the hdd, the better. I guess I wouldn't be just a 'consumer' user anymore.

Plus, the ripple effect is somewhat cool :D

20. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, all the powerbooks support core video. As for the ripple effect, from what I've heard it gets old after a while.

The coupons do combine with the discount. It would be pointless if they didn't.

21. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Give up on the PowerBook G5

Not another one of these threads...

Meh - PowerBook. Updates.. PEH.

PowerBooks are excellent pieces of hardware. Before you want an update, go and try one of the current models.

I think that we have realised that G5 processors and PowerBooks are not compatible at the moment.... The G4 is fast enough for MOBILE use.

If you want a 3d rendering firecracker, buy a G5. Only an idiot would buy a PowerBook for the sole purpose of CPU intensive applications.

End Rant - Pockets empty --> no more 2cent pieces left :D

aussie_geek

22. absurdio macrumors 6502

Sale or Deal on Powerbooks...

is mac likely to have a sale of some variety, or other deal this summer? I would like a powerbook, and probably an iPod, but if there is going to be some further incentive, i would much rather wait for that. thanks

23. modestmelody macrumors newbie

Long Island, New York / Providence, Rhode Island
    Are you a student? If so, there is always a 10-15% discount on Apple Products. Also, until June 25th, they are offering an additional $100 rebate for students to be combined with the student discount It's discussed earlier in this thread.

24. absurdio macrumors 6502

yeah, i am, but i remember a couple years ago they had a deal if u bought a powerbook then u could get 200 off an iPod, stuff like that, i am wondering if this is something they do regularly?

25. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Incorrect. The 17" can play HD video without dropping frames. Play DVCProHD material and see for yourself. If you don't have DVCProHD material, use QT Pro and export to DVCProHD from an H.264 HD trailer.