Powerbook upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kyler55, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. kyler55 macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2004
    So my deal is, i have a Rev A Powerbook.
    867 mhz. 256 ram, 60 gb hard drive, etc...
    i'm either going to buy a 512mb RAM, to max out this model at 640mb RAM.
    Wait, sell this powerbook and get either the new rev. Powerbook or the G5..
    Whats the best suggestion in the case, max out the current powerbook that has zero problems and works great, or wait and get the newer one?
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus


    Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Well, I'm not sure you can really compare the two, as one is mind-bogglingly more expensive then the other. Naturally it's a lot cheaper to get more RAM and use it longer.. but I guess it depends on what you currently do with your powerbook and what you want to do with future powerbooks/desktops.
  3. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

    Jul 1, 2004
    Since youre Powerbook is fine, just wait as long as you can, because systems are only getting better! No use in buying something thats great today, because by the time you actually need it, it will be out of date. Wait a year or so (or whenever?) the G5's have come out, and the kinks have been worked out. Then again I love my 12" Rev. C, and I dont think it will be out of date any time soon. Well, that wasn't helpful at all :p
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    spend the $100 and get the 512 MB stick. it will bring your rev. A PB a new breath of life. (i know, i have one myself.)

    if you sell it, you will get around $1000. so you are looking at spending another $700 to get the new rev. PB. i don't think it's worth it for marginal improvements in CPU and video card.

    i'm planning on using my rev. A PB for a few more years and then replace it with a G5 PB.

Share This Page