Powerbook VGA to DVI Logic Board Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pmartin, Aug 12, 2005.

1. pmartin macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2005
    I was wondering if a Powerbook G4 with a VGA logic board could be upgraded to one with a DVI port instead (i.e. could you upgrade to the latest model TiBook Logic board in an earlier model). I realize the screens are different, but are they incompatible with the new logic boards? Also, is the casing the same. I currently have no interest in doing this to my Powerbook G4, but it would be nice to know this for the future.
  2. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I have a VAGUE recollection that the TiBook case was changed--not just for ports, but to stiffen the keyboard--during its lifetime. And a VGA port would be a different shape from a DVI port, with the screw holes a different distance apart. So I'm not sure, but I'm inclined to doubt it, just for physical installation reasons. I don't know about the internal screen.

There are third-party upgrades for PowerBooks--if you're mainly looking for a speed boost. I've never dared upgrade my old PB, but some people do it. You don't get the FULL speed of a newer Mac, because other components aren't accelerated, just the CPU. But it's an option: