Powerbook/Video Editing/Firewire

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Bluto, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Bluto macrumors newbie

Hello Folks,

A while back I sold my 800mHz G4 iMac and replaced it with a 1Ghz G4 Powerbook figuring that I could do the same things if not more with it. One thing I didn't think about was the number of Firewire ports. The iMac had 2 and the Powerbook only has 1. What is the best set up if I am importing video from my mini DV cam via Firewire and want to use an external Firewire drive as a scratch disk? I need to have 2 Firewire devices hooked up at the same time. It seems my only options are to daisy chain the camera to the FW drive or to use a FW hub.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find any relavent posts.

TIA
    Bluto

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You are correct, that's your only option. Daisy chaining or an FW hub.

But technically, you're not asking and questions. I don't see a question mark anywhere in your post! :)

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

When I import video from my MiniDV cam to an external HD I just daisy chain the two, and it works just fine. Haven't had any problems so far!

4. Bluto thread starter macrumors newbie

Powerbook/Video Editing/Firewire

It never fails...I seem to always get some kind of snide remark when I'm looking for help here. I added a "?" for those that are checking punctuation. Thanks to those of you who actually read my posts and provide productive feedback and/or help.

Bluto :(

5. logicat2001 macrumors regular

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Seriously. I hardly found that to be snide. I'll avoid putting some passive-aggressive comment about sensitivity.

Anyway, I don't think you'll find much difference between daisy chaining and a FW hub.

7. Plutonique9 macrumors newbie

Plutonique9

I'd suggest buying a Cardbus (PCMCIA) Firewire card rather then getting a hub. That's the only way of adding "true" additional ports and giving each device a full 400mbps bandwidth........ this especially true for video.

Two routes to go;

For a generic & "cheapest" option;
    http://search.ebay.com/PCMCIA-Firew...tionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

My personal pick would be the;

http://www.firewiredirect.com/firewire/products/cardbus.shtml
    3-Port NitroAV FireWire800/1394b Type II Cardbus (PCMCIA) Interface Adapter with 2x 9pin FireWire 800 ports and 1x 6pin legacy (400) port

But that one goes for $79 :)

Cheers

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

That's good advice but he has a 12" PowerBook.

I use a 6-port FW repeater/hub with my 12" PowerBook and it works great. I never drop a frame.

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'd also recommend the 6-pin to 6-pin powered hubs. The Powerbook is incapable of providing full power via it's FW ports due to it's limited power handling capabilities (IE: it's a laptop). You'll get better performance and reliability if everything has it's own power source and you use a hub or daisy chain.

10. Bluto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like the repeater hub might be the route I'll be going.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

fwiw, I never needed to plug in my powered 6-port FW repeater/hub. all my FW devices operate under their own power, except my iFire, and there's enough power coming out of the (not plugged into the AC adapter) repeater/hub for the Apple Pro Speakers attached.