PowerBook VRAM- ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB or 128MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sethypoo, Jun 19, 2005.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Ok, I'm seriously considering getting a new 15" PowerBook G4 in the next few weeks. I have only one dilemma: which VRAM option to get.

I do not plan on hooking up my PowerBook to a 30" Apple Cinema Display, but I do want the extra graphics processing capability. I do a lot of video rendering in iMovie and Final Cut Express, as well as DVD encoding in iDVD. I'm planning on buying Photoshop soon too.....will the extra $$ for the 128MB of RAM make a big difference?

Do Xbench scores differ on the 64MB versus the 128MB VRAM option? Also, if I get the 128MB option, will I have two DVI ports on my PowerBook (Dual-link DVI, according to Apple's website).

Thank you!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

AFAIK I only have one DVI port. If you are doing the things you're doing and you want to do it on an ACD 30" I'd get the 128. I think the 64 is just fine, but for safety's sake, upgrade now because you can never upgrade. If it were a PM I'd say get the 64 and see what happens then buy the 128 third party for less. The one thing I did was upgraded the vram and left the stock 512 of ram because I can buy ram anywhere at any time and put it in all by myself. This simply is not possible for vram.

3. propropro macrumors regular