Powerbook VS Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Stojamow, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Stojamow macrumors regular

I visited Production Show in London last May. This is a show which shows you all the latest toys in boadcasting etc...

I went to see Avid's new systems as I was planning to buy one. The guy was running the very software I have in Avid qualified Dell's 1.8Ghz laptop (It was M?? I think)...

OK - just popped to mind yesterday to look can Powerbook do the same as one of my friends told me that Mac's are not that fast as I think they are (I have never claimed to him that my machine is faster than PC- but better to use)

Anyway... last May the Avid Guy was able to play 4 streams of DV video. When he added the 5th one every second frame started to drop. No transitions nor color correction were involved.

Yesterday I put 5 streams. 4 as a picture-in-picture as Avid guy did it in may. I put 4 simultaneous transitions in 4 pictures. Horns open, 3D rotation around Y-ax, dissolve & fade from color. PLUS I did color correct the clips.

You guess what? YES, Powerbook still played everything on my sreen smoothly. :D :D :D

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yep, for some stuff Macs just blow the competition right away. :D

but correct me if i'm wrong... but you're comparing this to a PC laptop from last May?

3. Stojamow thread starter macrumors regular

That's the best I can do indeed. But it is still quite nice to do it - as many PC guys I've seen seem to argue that G4 is more like a P3 not P4 + my little laptop G4 1.25Ghz with 25% increase of speed (compared to situation in last spring) can leave PC far behind. I do not think that 25% increase of horse power can do all the extra... (If we assumed that P4 1.8Ghz & G4 1Ghz are equal in the starting point of this conversation ...hope you understand what I mean)

Then there is the up coming G5 laptop as well...

:rolleyes: