Powerbook vs. Desktop... choices..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fowler., Apr 18, 2004.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

This is a stupid, "what would you do" question.

I should probably be able to answer it myself, but polling the audience might help me make a decision.

As of now, I have a 733 quicksilver G4 with a 20" CD. I for sure want to upgrade. I've been waiting for the G5 updates for a minute or two, but it looks like it might be a while before we see anything. So, I started thinking, what makes the most sense..

Option 1:
    Keep my G4 and get a top of the line 15" Powerbook. Maybe even upgrade the processor on the desktop to like a 1.4 or something.

Option 2.
    Sell the G4 and get a G5.

There is a pretty big jump in price, almost $700 if I decided to get a laptop and upgrade the processor, but mobility would be soo nice. I'm a student, so being able to take my laptop to school would be a good thing.

Any suggestions?

2. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Powerbook.

It depends a lot on what you want to do with the computer. G5's are the future and if you plan on going into, say, computer graphics, undoubtedly the way to go.

HOWEVER, I'd certainly vote for the 15". It can handle just about anything you throw at it and you can hook it up to a larger monitor at home to use as a desktop--thus having BOTH portable and desktop. Also, new, more powerful powerbooks are due out this week AND, most certainly, the G4 powerbooks are great, solid machines.

G5's are certainly wonderful, but they are still new.

Also, frankly, you just can't beat being able to use your computer just about anywhere. Watch a DVD while eating breakfast, write an essay out on the lawn, surf the net while lounging in bed. It's wonderful.

Make sure you look into student discounts no matter what you get. It could save you up to $200.

3. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yeah, definitely depends on what you want to do...

personally i would get the powerbook and sell your g4... even if you upgrade it will be as fast or slower than the powerbook.

now on the other hand if you don't at all need a laptop...then i'd say g5 in a second.

but think about it..laptop..go anywhere..surf on a sofa..plus if you sold the g4 it would be so much cheaper for you

4. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Well, I figured it would always be nice to have a desktop at home just for messing around with.... but yeah, I could totally see how it would be basically useless if I had a faster powerbook..

Hmm...

5. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Not a bad idea, actually. It's always good to have a back up...in case! Back up for data and for getting e-mail and such in emergency situations. Powerbooks are VERY solid and reliable, but computers are computers. If the powerbook has to go into the shop for a day (knock wood and hope it never has to), then it's good to know you're not computerless.