Powerbook vs. Macbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DolemiteJackson, Jun 3, 2006.

1. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

What advantages does a top of the line Powerbook have over a Macbook? It seems they are significantly more expensive.

I'm not a cutting edge Mac consumer, in fact I'm still using a 500mhz iBook. While using a friend's 1.67ghz Powerbook, I loved how "lush" it felt and thought I might buy one. I figured since the Macbooks have come out, the price might be closer to what I can afford, but I was shocked to find it not the case. So, why are the Powerbooks still more expensive?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well One Apple no long sells the PowerBook.. and its a PPC Mac, so it will run Photoshop and MS Office faster, but other then that MacBook is have it in raw speed. The PowerBook does have a "real" GPU so it will play games much better then the MacBook. MacBook can run Windows, have an iSight and FrontRow, and its an intel Mac

Just a quick over view, if you have a certian app in mind tell us it and we can tell you which will run it faster, but if you running a G3 500Mhz iBook as your main Mac, both Macs will be an improvement in anything you do on it, execpt the MacBooj won't run an Classic app.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would go with a MacBook over a PowerBook G4 simply because the Core Duo is so much faster then the PowerPC G4 chip. But since you are upgrading from a 500MHz iBook G3, either option will give you a huge boost in performance.

To me, since the MacBook is both cheaper and faster (for most things) than the PowerBook G4, I would go with the MacBook.

4. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

MacBook Pros and Powerbooks have the following few advantages over MacBooks: lit keyboards, card slots, and dedicated graphics processing units. MacBook Pros and Powerbooks are also a bit thinner than MacBooks. Pretty much any other thing one might like better about a MB Pro or PB as compared to a MB is subjective. Powerbooks are being sold for cheap now and represent fantastic value for money.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Even with the processor change, PowerBooks are still from Apple's "professional" line, so my guess is that it'd be a while before you start to see them down in the lower $1000 range (like the MacBooks).

6. DolemiteJackson thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for your replies. I probably will go with the Macbook. But the question that remains is, why is the Powerbook still more expensive than the Macbook?

edit: question being answered as it was reiterated.

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

There isn't really much more to it other than, as above, dedicated GPUs that on the 15" and 17" were up to 128MB, card slots, backlit keyboard, aluminium case and not forgetting the screen sizes too,I guess they just hold their value well and you shouldn't discou

Also, PPC laptops still have value among people that don't yet want an intel based Mac.

The other thing is the later revisions of the PowerBooks, especially the 12" ones are very well made and make great used buys.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Look at the market place here i bet you can get a 12'' PB below 1k