PowerBook vs my current iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jdm_rsx, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

prettty much the new G4 iBook
    1.2ghz
    768 ram
    etc...

compared to a

NEW powerbook

768 ram enough? or 1256 raM?

what kind of difference would it make if i was to only use photoshop and some gaming? games like WC3 and sometimes sim city when im at work...

or would my currrent iBook handle it well enough?

i do plan to keep this laptop for awhile

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Your probably want to wait and see what the PowerBook upgrades are like next revision. The current PowerBooks look a little expensive and under powered money wise compared to the iBooks imo.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Unless you're after a 1.5GHz machine there's probs not much reason for upgrading just yet. Even so I'd still wait until the new year...

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hold on to your ibook, i think you dont need to upgrade till at least the next revision.

i have a rev A powerbook, and im still really happy with it; unless you need a drastic improvvement in performance u dont need to upgrade; and i dont think going to 1.5 is enough in that sense;

5. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

ya, i paid like 1200 for my ibook
    and im actualy having a hardtime gettin 1000 for it...

any reason? is it becuz they are all low ballers?

lol, thanks for posting guys!

would the current G4 powerbooks price go down after the G5's come out?

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Yes, but my guess is that next powerbook revision won't be a G5. It'll probs be another G4 speedbump - everyone will whine their asses off but my guess is the prices will be keen.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Dual-core possible? I'd be very interested in a dual-core G4 12" :D

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Have you played Sim City4 yet on your ibook? I put it on mine this weekend (just got my ibook :D) and it seems to handle it just fine but i'm also just starting to build my city all over again :eek: forgot to bring my other city over to my ibook before I erased the hd.
    I would think it should run fine but never know-- good luck :)

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Your not alone. Here's to hoping they come sooner rather than later.

I would also to wait on upgrading. I dont think you would see a whole of performance difference.

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

That is quite a wait for a dual-core as per FreeScale.

If they had any G4 chips clocked at a higher rating I am sure they would have updated the powerbook by now. The No updates and a long wait only directs the path to one conclusion or two ;) Either they are dropping the powerbook line OR G5 powerbooks :D (with the new low powered G5 chips). :) OR use AMD 64 mobiles and port OS X on x86 ;) <--- okay that way a joke. :)

11. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

gosh, i really dont know what to do...about my iBook, prices will be keen? heh? sorry maybe its me or my vocabulary... = (

i hope the G5's do come out but in a way if they do i think they are rushing it and it might have problems or bugs like more laptops or electronics...

anyone agree w/ me?

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

DO NOT BUY anything yet, wait till after MWSF 2005.

All rev A products have issues and the PowerBook G5 (if there is indeed one) will have problems just as the iMac G5 does and just as the when the PMG5 was introduced. That is a fact of life, it also goes for other companies and products.

I would stick with the iBook for now use some hacks and it is next to PAR with the PowerBook G4 (minus the Graphic Card), which really makes sense if you game.

Your iBook is fine heck I will buy it off you for 990 USD if you are willing to ship it to me for no additional cost. :cool:

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

And the only reason you will not fetch the amount for your computer that you look for is because as with everything when it is used it depreciates in value. In this case Cars being the worst when driven off the lot new.

PM me with the specs, if its the 12" iBook I am very interested :) and this is not a joke. :)