PowerBook VS PowerMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TheMonarch, Oct 4, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Funny tittle, no? But it is indeed my question... I just remembered that waaay back in '03, Apple released the PowerMac G5, at 1.6, 1.8, 2, and dual 2 or was it, 1.6, 1.8, dual 2... Ugh, whatever. Anyways, I want to focus on the 1.6... It hit me, my PB is 1.67... So my question is, has the PB caught up to the '03 powermacs yet? :confused:

Who here has the PowerMac 1.6? Bench marks please?

I know that there are many factors, but in terms of general CPU speed, is the PB faster or slower?

This is out of pure curiosity.

2. macrumors 601

eva01

Some things the Powermac is faster

Other things the powerbook is faster

Its the same exact thing as "Is the G4 really faster than the G5"

3. macrumors 601

mjstew33

I would think they are relatively the same speed?

4. macrumors 68020

Browsing through the xbench results site, it looks like the old 1.6 G5 is still significantly faster than any current PowerBook. That sounds about right, considering everything about even the lowly 1.6 G5 is better: faster bus, faster RAM, faster SATA hard drive, 8x AGP.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I thought the G4 was waster than the G5 "Clock for clock" :confused:

6. macrumors 68020

Well I'm not sure where that originates from, but the xbench database seems to indicate otherwise. I don't know how any G4 could be faster than a G5 "clock for clock" considering everything about the PowerMac G5 is superior technology to any G4 ever built.

7. macrumors 6502a

bursty

So why couldnt Apple make a low power PB with a 1.6 G5 in it? It'd be faster then the current 1.67 G4. Bah, I just want to see a totally new Powerbook design. I bought mine two years ago and they are virtually unchanged since.

8. macrumors 6502a

snkTab

This might originate in the keynote in which Jobs described the G4 processor and debunked the megahertz myth. This basically stated that the G4 has a small-pipeline and that is good for getting things done. Of course, this was said before the G5.