Powerbook wakes up, when I disconnect USB keyboard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dr_Maybe, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

When my keyboard and mouse are connected to my powerbook while sleeping (lid/screen closed), and I disconnect the apple USB keyboard with a mouse connected to the keyboard, the computer wakes up. Then, after a while, it goes to sleep again, since the lid/screen has been closed all the time.

This is a bit annoying, since I usually disconnect the keyboard when I want to move the computer, and then I want the computer to be asleep.

The strange thing is, that a few times, the computer didn't wake up when I disconnected the keyboard.

Why does the computer wake up, when I disconnect the keyboard? And is it possible to prevent?

2. dmetzcher macrumors regular

Not sure if you can prevent it (I'm sure you can disable something using the Terminal), but this happens to me, too, when I plug/unplug a USB mouse. It's normal.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is not possible to prevent. Mine has done that as well and I just let it be. It goes back to sleep super fast anyway.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try unplugging the power adapter first... I'm gonna test that on mine right now.

SUCESS! But when I plugged it back in it woke up. Oh well. :D

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

At least in my experience with lid-closed (PowerBook model in sig), I just unplug USB, network, Firewire, sound, and then power and it goes to sleep. Then I disconnect the display. When I come back, I reconnect display, network, Firewire, USB, and sound, and then power, and it wakes up. Dunno if this is because of some options I have set or not, but that seems to work well—no sleeping, waking up, and sleeping again.

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Happens with my PB and I don't really care. I just leave it for a few and it will go back to sleep.

7. macgeek2005 macrumors 65816

My PowerMac G4 wakes up when I turn off the USB printer that's connected to it.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

My iBook does that when I unplug the USB printer from it during sleep. I noticed this earlier this week when I heard the Superdrive do it's check with the lid closed.

I'm assuming it's just the nature of USB and how the computer reacts to it. All my other Macs wake from sleep when I unplug something USB.

9. dmetzcher macrumors regular

Correct. They are designed to wake when USB devices are plugged/unplugged.

10. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I think I found a solution: It seems, that if the PBook is not connected to the power adapter, it won't wake from sleep when the keyboard is disconnected. So I just make sure the power adapter is disconnected before I disconnect the keyboard.

11. dmetzcher macrumors regular

That's strange. Maybe things are different on the PB than on the iBook. My iBook doesn't care if I have the power plugged in or not. I just tested it. It wakes up when I plug in my USB mouse, or when I disconnect it, regardless of whether or not it is plugged into a power source.

12. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Well, I'm not entirely sure if it's because of the power not beeing plugged in.

Another thing is, that when the battery is really low, it doesn't wake from sleep when i open the lid. It probably wouldn't wake from sleep no matter what USB items were disconnected, if the battery is very low.

13. dmetzcher macrumors regular

If your PB goes to sleep because it is out of battery power, you will not be able to wake it until you plug it into a power source. Doesn't matter if you try with a keyboard, mouse, or just by pounding on the keys. :)

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yeah - I forgot about that once. I had been working on my computer and power was getting low so I closed the lid to let it sleep. A while later I tried to open it back up and work on it and it wouldn't start. I was in the middle of calling AppleCare when I decided to see how much battery was left. Saved me the bit of embarassment of being one of those service calls that gets talked about

"My computer won't turn back on" "Is the battery dead? Plug it in" :p