Powerbook Wallstreet Video Artifacts?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andypress, Apr 9, 2005.

1. andypress macrumors regular

I have a Wallstreet Gen 2 and recenlty it has begun displaying artifacts when you move the mouse, or around icons and text. They will dissapear when you go into sleep, and return once you start moving the pointer again. Is this signs of a dying logic board?

2. andypress thread starter macrumors regular

To clarify the artifacts: They are all in pink color, and they occur mainly when you move the beach ball around, or when you drag a window out, and there is also half a mouse pointer. Is it possible that it could be a display cable?

3. andypress thread starter macrumors regular

Since no one has yet to respond, I've narrowed it down to something logic board related. The artifacts also show up on an external monitor, which basically tells me that it couldnt be the lcd. Are there any last resort options before I buy a logic board from ebay?

4. minton macrumors member

Maybe the title of your thread should be "video of powerbook wallstreet artifact"? :p Seriously, they're getting old. You might as well try and boot into open firmware and reset hardware to factory defaults. Here's the particulars from someone who posted @ macintouch.com:

5. andypress thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to murder this thing. No matter what I tried I can't get it into open firmware.

6. andypress thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way to "force" it to start up with an open firmware prompt?

7. minton macrumors member

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I had a same problem with g3 500 PB

This sounds like a problem I had with my G3 500 PB. It happened when it had been on for a while and heated up. When it was turned off and cooled down, it would be fine on reboot.

Of course I couldn't get it to recreate the problem when I took it to an Apple Authorized service center.

However, the prolbem went away when I installed OSX 10.2.

My wife uses that PB now and has not had any more problems with it.