Powerbook weird half muted sound issue.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tilmitt, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Tilmitt macrumors member

I had a Mac LAN last night. It went fine and my PB didn't get dropped or banged or anything and I listened to music just before i put it to sleep and it was fine. I woke it up this morning and now when i listen to music with headphones the left headphone is almost completely silent, with only very quiet music coming through it, while the right headphone is fine. If i pull the headphone connector out slightly both headphones give the right volume but the quality is terrible. If i play music normally without headphones in alot of the high pitched areas of some songs it is difficult to pick out some parts of the tune that would normally be totally loud and clear. Anyone have any idea what this could be??

Thanks.

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Just wondering...

Have you checked the sound options in System Preferences > Sound?
    My iMac would change my panning sometimes, seemingly at random, after a re-boot. Just make sure the balance slider is in the middle.

My thought on the high-pitched sound distortion could be a bad preferences file (maybe changed something in the eq settings?)

Have you tried using the headphone jack to connect to an external set of speakers (other than headphones?)

3. Tilmitt thread starter macrumors member

Thank you kind stranger, the problem was in the Sound preferances place.

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Glad to be of service. :)