PowerBook, What to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ariel González, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Ariel González macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2004
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Hi Mac Friends:
    First at all, please excuse my English.

I have a Rev C PowerBook. It Was having some problems as Warping so I send it to Tech Support. They scracth my case and didn´t solve the problem so they are reoplacing my PB.
    The problem is that I am getting a fully new PB, and I am thinking to sell it without oppening the box. Just as new. That is because I don´t know wath is gonna to happen in the next weeks. It is going to be a new PB? It is going to be a full new redising of the actuac PB with liquid cooler and some more speed and better Graphic Carp? Are they going to come up wth the double core? Maybe some better display and faster G4 prosesor? Maibe the G5?

I don´t know wath to do. It is a lot of money in Argetina and I don´t want to open the replacement and finding the next thay that Apple come with a new one.

But maibe I just have to enjoy my PB that i could´t before because of those problems.

Wath do you think?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    There will not be a completely new PowerBook for many months. There might be some changes - maybe a better hard disk, maybe better screen resolution, maybe a better graphics card.

But it will be 2005 before the G5 PowerBooks come out - at least 6-9 months.

Of course, there might be a new G4 PowerBook in September, for example. It is impossible to know.

If you like your PowerBook, I would keep it and be happy with it. If it seems too slow or weak for you, I would sell it and wait. Please understand that it is unlikely but not impossible that a very different PowerBook will be released soon.
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Congrats on the Powerbook. I agree with jsw, there's not going to be an all new powerbook for quite awhile yet and I doubt there will even be a speed bump anytime soon. You've got a great computer there so if I was you I would just enjoy it! :)
  4. gear02 macrumors member

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree with everyone so far. I just got a new pbook two days ago, knowing that a new pbook is just around the corner. However, I doubt the speed increase of the new pbooks will outweigh the costs of getting the new ones.