Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amammad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Hi,

I've been using a 12" Powerbook lately and I've noticed that every minute or so, I hear a slight whirring noise.

It's not a "clicky" disk access noise but sort of sounds like a drive spinning up. It spins up for maybe 20 or 30 seconds and then stops and then does it again about a minute later.

Is this normal? I've been using it in a very quiet room so I'm not sure if my regular Powerbook does this and I just don't notice it. It's not a loud noise so would be easy to miss I suppose.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
As you say, it could be the disk spinning up. More likely, I'd guess it's the fan coming on though. To be honest, I don't think it's all that much to worry about unless you notice performance drops or something like that. :)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
if you move the powerbook when it's on does the noise get worse? nikda like a light sabre (for want of a better way of describing it). my pbook (12" 1.33) did that before the drive failed. i'd make sure you have backups just in case.

amammad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
emotion said:
if you move the powerbook when it's on does the noise get worse? nikda like a light sabre (for want of a better way of describing it). my pbook (12" 1.33) did that before the drive failed. i'd make sure you have backups just in case.

No, to be fair, there's no alarming noises coming from the machine at all, even if I move it about . It's a "quiet noise". Just a sort of hum more than a whirring sound I suppose.

Just that it happens regularly and I'd not noticed it on a PB before.

I don't think it's the fans as it's more obvious when the fan kicks in. I guess it must just be the hard drive spinning up then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.