powerbook will not turn on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bslax28, Aug 17, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Jan 16, 2004
    i did a search for this and found no appropriate results, so if there's already a thread on this problem, i apologize.

but anyways, i bought my powerbook 12" about two months ago and have had absolutely no problems. then, this morning, i brought into the local barnes and noble to get some coffee and it wouldn't turn on. i held the on/off button for a few seconds at a time, sometimes for nearly 10 or 15 seconds, and nothing happened. finally, after about 10 attempts, it came on. it's running fine, but that worried me a little.

now, i don't know if this is purely coincidence, but i had my powerbook plugged in overnight when the power went off, went on, and went off again. could a power surge have affected my pb somehow? has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2005
    Wow....that is real weird! When it finally started did you see or feel anything different? Also, I may be wrong, but if you press down the power button, it should have atleast started the computer in some other mode....I would suggest a quick hardware test using the install disc 1....just t check if nothing....
  3. macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Were you running it off of the battery or was it plugged in? I don't think it was a power surge because then your power supply would not work at all. I have left mine plugged in when the power goes out and all that happens is the battery kicks in.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 16, 2004
    When it wouldn't turn on? Off the battery... everything is working fine now, including the on/off button, so maybe it was just a fluke. Who knows. A little strange though, I'd expect this from my Dell, but not my PB.