Powerbook Wireless Without Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by robb, Jan 30, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2005

Bit in depth for a newbie.....

I am trying to connect my powerbook to a wireless router/gateway and the router/gateway is running on 128bit hex security and my mac address must be entered into the route/gateway, I have put my mac address onto the router/gateway and have tried to coonnect many a time using the correct hex password but have absolutely no luck.

Is there any programs that will connect me up or any alternative way of connecting?

Thanks guys, I am fed up of having to use a cable while a load of windows laptops are using wireless!
  2. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa

You can see the wireless router, right. Its just that you can't connect.

Just to cover the basics you MAC address can be found system preferences/network/airport tab.

What brand router are you using at your place?
  3. macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have you tried putting a $ in front of the hexadecimal password?

Can't recall why this works but it has in the past for me
  4. macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2005
    Thanks for the replies guys, the router is a Wanadoo Live box, I also have a Belkin wireless router (not ADSL modem). I will try the $ in front of the password later as I don't have the password to hand.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2005
    For some reason I tried the WEP key again today and it works fine, it wasn't me before though, there are guys next door trying to use the same router with their 3 powerbooks and had no joy.

Oh and the $ didn't work, I couldn't enter it in a hex password box.

Thanks for all the suggestions and halp anyways!