Powerbook with Final Cut? AppleCare? RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eholman1, Sep 23, 2004.

1. eholman1 macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2004

I am trying to decide whether to buy a powerbook in the next few days and have some concerns. I would really appreciate any advice you can give on a few, last-minute questions.

As background: I am a former PC user who has used and loved Macs and is planning to use Final Cut Express.

Powerbook vs. desktop:

I am thinking of buying a 15" powerbook 1.5 GZ:
    - 128 K graphics
    - 80 G 5400 rpm HD
    - 512 MB RAM (which I may upgrade)

I want to use it for Final Cut Express. Will it be fast enough or will I wish I had given up mobility for a dual-processor G4?

Applecare plan for Powerbook:

Is it worth it?

RAM for Powerbook (Mac or someone else):

- How much memory do I need for Final Cut Express to work comfortably? Will it seem noticably slow with 512 MB?

- I am getting 1 DIMM of 512 MB (instead of 2x256). I plan on buying another 512 later from someone cheaper than Apple and installing it myself. Is this the way to go? Is there a better/smarter way to do this?

Thanks much in advance.
  2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That powerbook is my setup and I edit in FCE daily. Most of the time, Safari, adium, and photoshop are open at the same time. 512 is fine, although I may upgrade to a gig once I know what my school demands of me. Shop around for ram. People here swear by crucial, but ram can be found cheaper elsewhere. It really depends on when you buy it. As for the apple care, I would get it if you have the money, but at least let the 90 day warranty run out before you drop the cash.

It's late, but I hope I make sense. Other members know me well enough to clarify my ramblings ;).
  3. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    The G4 will run FCE fine, provided you have the ram...

Ram...Don't waste your money on Crucial or any of those big names. Go to Outpost.com and order a 1gb stick of ram for $149. Your PB will scccrrreeeaammm!

And finally, Applecare can't hurt anything, especially if you have the money. If you don't have the money, may I suggest a little idea that a lot of Maccies do. They set aside a little jar and everyday or so put money in it, that way, before a year is up, they have the money to buy the Applecare and extend their warranty to three years. Good luck!