Powerbook with maintanance insomnia

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alxths, Mar 17, 2004.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
    For the past month or so my powerbook hasn't been sleeping too well. The slightest jolt can wake it up; if i unplug a mouse(while holding the system still); and sometimes it seemingly wakes up for no reason at all...? I was thinking maybe the case has warped a bit which caused the switch or whatever detects an open lid to be mroe sensitive.. it's a RevB 12"

Any ideas?
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    if your PB is plugged in, clicks on USB mouse/keyboard or plugging in/out any USB devices will wake up the PB. i'm not sure about FW devices...

if it's really sensitive and wakes up for reasons other than what i mentioned above, maybe you have one of the keys being stuck or something?

PB doesn't wake up based on the system motion. it goes to sleep when you shut the lid and the magnets (i think) on the display latch comes in close proximity to the slot below the trackpad or a key is pressed...

3. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
    Yeah it's pretty much always plugged in, so I guess that explains the mouse thing..

Sometimes I'll just be sitting, playing guitar, not touching the desk at all and it'll just wake up(lid's closed). Maybe it's power surges? It's attached to a fairly cheap surge protector...
  4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    When I unplug my USB mouse from my iBook with the lid shut it wakes up aswell. I'd say it is quite normal. Doesn't bother me. :p