Powerbook with Superdrive or external Sony DRU700

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stuuke, May 7, 2004.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

Are there any negatives besides speed in purchasing a pb with superdrive? I read on another post that mentioned the Sony DRU700 which can burn double the info and twice as fast. Both are around $200 so the price doesn't make a big difference. Does anyone have experience with the Sony? How long does the pb take to burn a dvd?

2. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

There is a review on the Sony at www.anandtech.com.

3. Bhennies macrumors 6502

The CDR function on the PB will be slower if you get the superdrive. Get the combo with the external- you can get an 8x external for the same price as the internal 4x- plus even faster drives coming very soon. Can you think of one reason why you'd need to burn a DVD on the road?

4. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Am I reading the review right, the dvd's for the drive are not available yet and won't be for some time?

5. blawson macrumors newbie

I agree. I can see possibly NEEDING to burn CD's on the road, but I've never seen it. And the necessity of DVD's are even less. The $180 or $200 upgrade for the 4x superdrive seems a waste unless buying an external drive is out of the question. I purchased a DVD-RW for an old PC of mine, and have actually yet to burn a DVD with it. Instead, I miss the faster CD-RW burn speed of my old drive (since 4x dvd-r's burn cd's much slower anyway). You need to decide if you're the type of person who would benefit from being able to make a dvd movie on the road though. If not, going with a combo drive with the possibility of purchasing a much faster external firewire drive seems like a much smarter idea.

6. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a photographer and I could see myself burning a dvd on the road for backup but with an 80gb hard drive I don't know if it would be necessary.

7. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I have had to burn CDs on the road often (I am a student, so I'll write papers up on campus, burn them, and print them in the lab - I love CDRW). I can't think of a time when i would want to burn a DVD on the road though, where it couldn't wait. However, if what you do creates huge files, maybe the internal is the best idea.

MP

8. Bhennies macrumors 6502

So am I, and I rarely get files larger than 650 megs (unless I'm scanning 4,800 dpi off a 4x5 neg). But I sure as hell don't take my scanner with me, it's not very portable. If you've got more than 650 megs, just burn two CD's, simple as that. You can always archive it on one DVD disk when you get home.