Powerbook won't burn discs...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mike Teezie, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    Hi everybody - my 1ghz TiBook is refusing to burn CDs. I can read music CDs and rip them into iTunes, but I can't burn with iTunes or Toast.

With iTunes, it tries to write the CD< then says "Canceling burn...this may take a few minutes"

Then a window pops up telling me "The attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to repsond properly, unable to recover or retry"

With Toast the same thing.

After failing, it says:

The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = Illegal Request
    Sense Code = 0x2C

I have no idea what to do. I repaired permissions in a desperate attempt to fix the problem, to no avail.

I'm freaking out because the warranty went out on my computer this month.

Any ideas? ANY help is massively appreciated.
  2. awulf macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2002
    South Australia
    Well one thing you could try is a clean install (erasing the Hard disk and installing everything again) or try booting up into Mac OS 9 and see if that can still burn, then you know if it is hardware or Software.

Another possibility could be the brand/type of CD you are trying to burn.
  3. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    Thanks for the reply awulf, I'll try out everything you said.

I really appreciate it!
  4. rjj718 macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2004
    G4 17" Powerbook has same disc burning problems

Michael, what results have you had? My G44 17" Powerbook has the same problem. Any further info would be helpful.
    Rhonda Johnson
  5. Mik'el macrumors newbie

Oct 12, 2005
    I had the same problem...

Yes- I had the same thing happen when I went to burn a DVD. Do 'command-i' on the disk you are going to burn to and see actually how much real space is on there. Then adjust the compression on the info you are burning to just under that by , say 10 Megs. Now the DVD will burn properly and you will not get that message. It's a dumb mistake, but hey, everyone ain't perfect. :cool: