Powerbook wont shutdown

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dagless, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For some reason I cannot shut down my PB. at first i thought it was nothing, just an app running over, but that was weeks ago. software updates have fixed nothing too.

What happens is, like normal OSX starts to shut down. the dock, menu bar and desktop all vanish away leaving just the mouse and the desktop image. only it freezes on that. It seemingly can go in and out of sleep mode, I can move the mouse around but thats it.

Anybody else had this or know of the solution?

2. belvdr macrumors 601

Never heard of that, but I'd try resetting your PRAM first.

3. BlueT macrumors member

4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I would say try a force-shutdown by holding the power button down. then reset your PRAM and such before the computer boots back up. then try again.

I've had a couple times when my PB would be stubborn and not shut down or restart, but usually a hard reset brought it back into line ;)

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

so.... umm... :) ... how do i reset the PRAM?

but yea force shutdown works, i just dont like doing it. that little squel the PB makes before it goes off... its like its crying out to me "dooont do that!" -dead-

6. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Command+Option+P+R on startup, what for a couple of "bings" then release and allow boot up to continue

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

just tried that, and its still hanging at shutdown :( im slightly worried its a HDD problem. my windows laptop has a slightly corrupted HDD and i cant run a full defrag and sometimes that hangs on shutdown :(

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have you tried the fsck routine or starting from the install disc and using Disk Utility?

9. Lotring macrumors newbie

when resetting the pram make sure you do it three times. so the pb should restart three times then the fourth will be a normal restart.

10. sra macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem with my PowerBook (17", 1.33 GHz, no other hardware attached), more or less since installing 10.4.2 (though I can't be sure that's when it started). The old faithful ritual of zapping PRAM 3 times is no help.

I have narrowed it down to some process running that doesn't get shut down when I log out or try to shutdown or reboot. More specifically, when I run "sudo shutdown -h now" in Terminal, it starts shutting down services, and then I get a message like the following:

2005-08-30 13:23>31.886 openexec [353] Process lock reports that another openexec is running on this host.

and the process of shutting down aborts.

Doing "sudo shutdown -h now" again, though, leads to a successful shutdown, indicating that the first one killed the offending process.

When I look (using either Activity Monitor or "ps ax" in Terminal) before the shutdown, I find only one "openexec" process running. Its process number is not the same as that which appears in the message above, and it is still running (with the same process ID) after the first "shutdown" command is run.

Any help in identifying the source of this extraneous process, and a way of getting rid of it, would be gratly appreciated.

11. sra macrumors newbie

OK, I found a solution to the problem. I looked at /Library/StartupItems, and found two things there that I didn't recognize and that had dates roughly contemporary with the beginning of the problem. Moving QuickBackStartupItem and SpeedToolsDTStartupItem out of that folder has cured my shutdown/restart problem. I don't know where these came from: any help here?

Interestingly, I still get that "extra openexec process" message when I shutdown from Terminal.....