PowerBook won't sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by withnail, May 14, 2003.

1. withnail macrumors regular

I upgraded to the latest OS level a couple of weeks ago, and in the past few days, my Ti PowerBook has become a bit of an insomniac. Regardless of whether it's connected to AC or running on the battery, it will not go to sleep. The display does dim and then power off as expected, but it does not power down to the level where the light pulses. (I specify this because I don't know if there are varying levels of sleep.) The only way it will reach this state is by closing the laptop or by selecting Sleep from the apple menu...

I tried changing all my settings in System Preferences, but it still does the same thing. I also went to Terminal and used top and can't find any active processes that should prevent it from sleeping. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    wi

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Have u doublechecked the Energy Saver prefs? If it's set for the hard drive or system never to go to sleep, that could be it.

3. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I checked that. I meant to say "Energy Saver", not "System Preferences"...

Thanks though.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I've had the same problem with my iBook 500. I first noticed it happening sometime after upgrading to 10.2.4. Upgrading to 10.2.5 hasn't helped.

I figure when I get some time, I'll bring it in to the Apple Store to see if they can figure it out. And if they can't, maybe they'll give me a new iBook 900:D

5. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'll reset the PMU and see if that helps...

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Are there any external devices hooked up that could be preventing it from sleeping?

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

random issue I had...my Pro Mouse...

My iMac resides on top of my old drawing table. It's a formica layered top, similar to counter top, white in color. The optical mouse was picking up something from it, thus considering it use since it wasn't completely opaque. My display would sometimes go to sleep, sometimes not...until I figured out what was causing it and placed pad underneath it.

8. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

nope...this happens with an external mouse/keyboard attached and with absolutely no external devices...

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Then you have external devices (keyboard and mouse). Try unplugging them and let it sleep.

10. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

...no - I'm saying it won't sleep with external keyboard and mouse attached OR without them (or anything else) attached.

Right now it's on my coffee table, all by itself, and I just came back from leaving it idle for 30+ minutes (no applications open either), and the only things that had happened were the display and disk drive shutting off.

I suppose I could use it until the battery is about to die and see if it follows the old force-sleep routine once it gets "dangerously low".

I'm not overlooking anything painfully obvious in my Energy Saver settings am I:

Attached Files:

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sorry for misunderstanding you. That is indeed a weird issue, and your settings look fine.

Have you done the good old repair permissions trick, yet? It might be an actual preference file that's messed up.

12. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tried repair permissions yet. I'll do that and post my findings. I appreciate the help!

BTW, I left the computer for a couple of hours and when I touched a key, the display came right back on, and on the desktop was the "Your battery is really low, I will be going to sleep soon..." message. Apparently, it was an idle threat. ;)