PowerBook..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adrian-cg, Sep 17, 2005.

1. adrian-cg macrumors member

Ok so my current PC is a 1.7ghz p4 256ram 32VRAM. Not good. I do some casual PS work and plan to start learning 3d modelling and do bigger PS work, for prints, tshirt and such. I also do some occasional gaming (I'm more of a console type of guy)

Now, I have the feeling the 32vram of the ibook are not goig to cut it for the 3d modelling so I never really considered it. I set my eye on the 128vram 15" powerbook, because I felt the 128vram would give the PB a longer life. I want the laptop to last as long as possible.

Now for the plot twist: I'm from Mexico so I can't get the custom 15 incher in here and a cousin of mine who lives in San Francisco is coming in one week's time (sept 23.) My question is, would it be too much of a risk to ask my cousin to get the PB and bring it with her or will all the new products be announced on the first day of the Paris expo so it's safe to get a powerbook if new ones aren't announced on the 20th?

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds. :)

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You said that you are more of a console type guy
    and you really do pay a huge premium for portability.
    Do you really need a portable?

I would recommend the iMac G5 2.0 17" or 20" which has a faster 64 bit G5 2.0 GHz processor, twice the storage in a standard 7200 RPM HD and 128 MB VRAM and it's much more affordable.

Buy another 1 GB RAM (3rd party) and you'll be droolin'

3. adrian-cg thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah, I do need portability. It'd make my school life sooo much easier. Besides, I'm studying next semester in Montreal, so I need to be able to take it with me.

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you need a portable, the 15" 1.67 GHz with the
    128 VRAM upgrade is the right choice, but it's built
    to order unless your sister can find an Apple store
    that has a special purchase of the updated model.

Sorry I can't advise you about getting it across the border. Old book bag maybe, no boxes or packaging
    and your sister mght need to boot it up to show that it's already in use. Don't know.

5. adrian-cg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response, man :). And about the Paris expo, if there are no new PB's on the 20th there will be no new PB's on the expo, right or wrong?

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Yes and no.

If Apple were to release a new PowerMac next week, they could hold off another week or so to announce
    a minor speed bump type upgrade to the laptops.

If it's something major like HD displays, then I'd expect to see it at the Expo, but it's a tossup.

If you're a student, I would check with your local school purchasing agent to see if they can order for you.

7. yenko macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken the 15" only has 64 megs of VRAM. :(

Unless it's BTO! :eek:

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I hope you trust your seeester! :D

Yup the 128 MB GPU upgrade only comes BTO on the
    1.67 GHz model.

You CAN NOT upgrade the VRAM later on a
    PowerBook.

9. GrimStranger macrumors newbie

Out of curious, how do you order a BTO? Not thorugh online store right?

10. yenko macrumors 6502a

YES! :eek:

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You can either call Apple by phone or order at the online store or your school purchasing agent can order for you on their account.

When you open the PowerBook selection page at the online store, select the model you want and configure the system as desired on the Customize your Mac page then add to cart or save the configuration for later.

I configured the education price below.

Subtotal $2,279.00
    Estimated Ship:
    1-3 business days
    Free Shipping
    Specifications

512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/128MB VRAM dual
    AirPort Extreme Card
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    15.2-inch TFT Display

12. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

The 15" PB should work great for you, I love the way Photoshop runs on my 12" G4.

PowerBooks should be due for an update, so you may want to wait, but know that you are taking a bit of a risk by waiting. Maybe you should check out the buyer's guide.

13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If you DO get it now, there's a 14-day price protection thingiee. Just call and have the receipt and ask. :)

14. GrimStranger macrumors newbie

Ha, I was looking at the combo drive model. Looks like you have to go with super drive to be able to get vram upgrade.

15. adrian-cg thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'll just hold my breath a bit longer and hope for PB updates a little after Paris. I'm definitely getting my PB before January, though, I'll be able to live through this semester without it, but it's completely necessary for Montreal. :p

Thanks to everyone who replied :D. And if anyone's got anything to add, you're more than welcome to. I need to get as much input as I can.