Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wano, Dec 3, 2002.

  1. macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    I am thinking of getting a PowerBook with a external display and a 120GB firewire hard drive. I want to wait till they release the new line in 2003. Does anyone know what the rumors are about this line?
  2. macrumors 68020


    Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    you are most likely gonna be waiting until at least early march. best bet is to go ahead and buy now. that is unless you can do without a new computer for 4 months or so.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    i am fine with that...cause i wont be able to afford one untill then anyways...and the reason i want a powerbook is because i travel a lot, and i usually leave the country in mid july...and this year a friend and i are putting together a movie...so it will work out!
  4. macrumors 6502a


    Oct 12, 2001
    Well, it's a good bet that the new powerbooks next year will and can only boot in OS X....:D
  5. macrumors 604


    Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Seeing how they just released an speed bump I would think closer to MacWorld San Francisco.
  6. Gus
    macrumors 65816


    Jan 1, 2002
    I can only assume you meant MacWorld New York in July? No WAY anything is coming out Powerbook-wise in January ion San Fran.

  7. Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Nov 1, 2001
    The one thing you might see by MWSF worth waiting for is a new line of monitors - I'm hoping to see a 19" wide format, that would be slick. But if not, you should look into getting one of the formac monitors, much nicer in quality than anything else out there and they look great too!


  8. macrumors 6502a


    Sep 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    go ahead an get it

    I just got a new 1 ghz powerbook and it smokes.... i think it's nearly as fast as my dual 867 were it not for the slower hard-drive... That 64meg ATI makes aqua run smooth as butter!! and i'm lovin my 22in cinema display!1:D

    I say get one now if you have the cash,
    otherwise it's quite a wait.
  9. thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    Re: go ahead an get it

    well, i dont have the cash yet! but i will in about 3-6months, wich is not to big of a deal considering by then i will have enough footage to make my film.

    i saw somewhere on some website that the powerbook 1Ghz performed equaly and better, to the dual 867, in some tests, except for one photoshop, which it lagged behind by two seconds.
  10. macrumors member

    Oct 25, 2002
    Usually, new powerbook revisions come out every 6+ months, so don't hold your breath....I'd say wait till March, April-ish before considering a new revision. The one that just came out is smoking and I was first in line for that one myself. I love the Ghz powerbook to death. If you can't wait, buy now while they are relatively new!!!!
  11. Retired


    Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Re: go ahead an get it

    in six months, there definitely will be something improved on the tibook...maybe just a speed or ram bump

Share This Page