Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xfactor11391, Nov 9, 2005.

1. xfactor11391 macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2005
    Hey I just got my new powerbook it is awsome!! But the usb port on the right side doesnt work with any device:eek:. What are my options as of right now. I really dont want to lose this baby for a while. Thanks
  2. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    Go to the store you bought it from, they should swap it with another one for you.
    If it was purchased online, you will have to send it away.
  3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Have you tested various devices? Had the PB plugged in? Tried Apple Hardware Test? Plugged in the device itself (like if it has an AC adapter)? Made sure the device wasn't upside down when going into the port -- now some devices will do this, it's messed up, they're like the off brand ones and it's like omg how can they go in upside down.-- ? Checked System Profiler to see if it finds the USB Device?

Those are just somethings to look at just in case it isn't the port itself.
  4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    Apple doesn't actually consider the failure of the right USB port on a 15" PowerBook as rendering it IUFU. As such, it will have to be fixed under warranty. Nevertheless, though it requires about an hour of labour, it's a pretty straight forward procedure. It's a tiny little board to swap. It's only a pain in the ass because you have to remove the logic board to get at it. I've done it before, and it's not all that much fun.
  5. Melkor macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2005
    Try plugging different things into it. I have a weird usb on my PC and it only works for some things. e.g. my iPod works on it but my memory key doesn't. It's strange.